Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tricks to getting rid of that yeast flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
LloydRenee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tricks to getting rid of that yeast flavor?

I am already planning to use a second fermentor but was curious what else could be done to reduce the dead yeast flavor (that in itself may do the trick)? I have had two bottled batches an English Brown and a Imperial Blonde. The Imperial was awesome but the English Brown was bleh. Folks drank it because it was there but I barely touched it because it had that horrid after taste. My other buddy who brews has the same problem. They have made 4 or 5 batches of different styles and they all taste the same as my first batch. That nasty old beer after taste. Dead Yeast I assume. I am just curious as to any affordable tricks that might be out there to help with this as I am a new Brewer with a plastic home kit from my local HB shop. I want a beer that tastes like beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Leave it in the bucket for a month. Use clean yeast strains. US - 05 is a great one.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let us know your procedure and maybe we can pick out some issues where you can improve.

B

Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

are you controlling your fermentation temps? i doubt your yeast is dying and giving off flavors unless something is really off in your process.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Gunfighter04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sorry for the obvious question, but are you stopping he pour from your bottles before the yeast? i.e. leaving the stuff that settles at the bottom of the bottle?

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

Keg1: Scotch Ale
Keg2: Nut Brown
Bottled: Cider
Primary: Belgian Strong

Old 06-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Are we talking stale sourdough bread taste mixed with rancid meat, or over the top yeastiness like a subway shop in the morning when they are baking the bread, or a chewing on an old cardboard box from your grandmothers basement type of taste? Or just a old skunked beer taste. Those different off flavors all have different causes.
If your yeast truly died and started to breakdown you get the stale sour with a touch of rotten creaping in at latter stages.
Over the top yeastiness can come from bottling too soon, too warm fermentation or even too warm conditioning and not chilling long enough to let the yeast settle. Also pouring the dreggs into your glass.
Cardboard taste is from oxodized beer.
Skunkyness is from exposure to sunlight/UV light at ANY point once fermentation has started.
A hint of clove is from fermenting too warm.

If you havn't done so yet, read the section on "troubleshooting Off Flavors" at howtobrew.com

Fat Toad Brewery

Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 78 Posts

how long do you primary? do you secondary? how long do you bottle condition? I primary 1 month, bottle condition 1 month and always have a tight yeast pack in the bottle. Drain every drop and never get yeast dreggs in the bottom of the glass.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Details! Was the EB a kit? What ingredients, what yeast, what temps did you ferment at? What method do you use to clean and sanitize? What cleaners and sanitizers do you use?

Like bowiefan pointed out, more specifics about the off flavors help too.

The doctors can't diagnose without the details

Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
LloydRenee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
Let us know your procedure and maybe we can pick out some issues where you can improve.

B
I follow the procedure laid out in the pamphlet that comes with the Brewer's Best kit. Skipping the obvious. I complete my boil, pour it into the Ferment bucket through a filter. Cap it loosly and set in a shock sink with ice water to bring it down temp wise (about 2 hours) then I add the rest of the needed water (about 2.5 gals of Bottled Spring or drinking water). Then I toss the dry yeast that coems with the kit on top. I have been told not to stir it just let it sit. Put the cap on seal tight and snap on the air lock. From there it goes into a closet which is dark with a black out sheet on it for just incase. The temp is controlled at about 72 to 76. I typically waited 2 weeks before moving it to the priming bucket but now I am going to do a 1 week secondary fermentation. After the initial two weeks we move it to the priming bucket with the priming sugar and bottle it with Brown 12 oz glass bottles (Typically recycled). They then go into a cabinet in my kitchen and are covered and locked in (save for nabbing a bottle every week to see the progression in taste. After 3 weeks we pop em in the fridge and its go time then? Thats teh standard procedure but the last batch I made the imperial blonde was great and didnt have to go that long. Its the way my buddy is too but he has ot had the success of my imperial blonde. I hope theis helps a bit in helping me?

Oh as for sanitizer I use C-Brite. I habd wash all teh equipment when I finish and then again before I start. The bottles I soke in C-Bright and wash in the dishwasher at sanatize mode. I then do a sanatize right before I bottle and steam dry.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
LloydRenee
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Leave it in the bucket for a month. Use clean yeast strains. US - 05 is a great one.
A month as opposed to 2 weeks? Should I not be using the Yeast that comes in the kits?

Quick Reply