Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trial Run Completed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
adhomebrew10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Trial Run Completed

Hi all,

I just completed my trial run for my first brew day next Saturday.

So far, I have made an IC (50 feet 3/8OD) and a fermentation cooler out of a coleman 120qt cooler, using Foamular insulation for the top. Today I wanted to do a dry run to test out how long things would take, and get an oxide layer on my pot and IC.

First I soaked my IC in my brewpot with some PBW for 30 mins or so, then brought 6.5g new water to a boil in my turkey fryer and boiled my IC for 30 minutes to build up an oxide layer.

Just as a test, I ran water through the IC when I was done, and I went from 200 degrees to 80 in about 8 minutes. I am still amazed at how fast it worked.

I am extremely excited about my first brew day next weekend. I will be brewing an APA, a recipe I came up with myself. Thanks for the help I have received from everyone!

-adhomebrew10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6348 Times on 5495 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Good luck and have fun!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
upperNY01brewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Im curious since Im about to make my own IC, is there a reason behind oxidizing it ? And did you do it just by placing it into the boiling water ?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
adhomebrew10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperNY01brewer View Post
Im curious since Im about to make my own IC, is there a reason behind oxidizing it ? And did you do it just by placing it into the boiling water ?
It removes all the corrosion and copper oxide from the surface, as I understand it. It went in dull and came out shiny. Building up an oxide layer keeps you from getting the metallic copper grime in you brew.

Yes, I just placed it in boiling water, after soaking it in PBW. You can also soak it in star san for 30 minutes or so.

Quick Reply