The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Travelling to Whippany, NJ for business

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
gunner65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Travelling to Whippany, NJ for business

I am going to be in Whippany next week and was wondering if there are any brew pubs and LHBS that I must visit around there. Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, that's my neck of the woods, and it's not great beer country, sadly. No LHBS to speak of (there's one, but it's geared toward wine), and not a ton of brewpubs. Check out this site for some ideas, and avoid the house brews at the Gaslight in South Orange; their guest brews are good and their house brews are, well, not. South Orange is a cool little town, though, and the Gaslight serves up good beers that they didn't make. The Office, in Morristown, is a decent place for a pint; you'll find some regional brews there. A train ride into NYC is probably your best bet for beer tourism, though. The Blind Tiger, at Jones and Bleecker in Greenwich Village, is a superb beer bar among others on this map. I'd offer to meet up for a beer, but I'll actually be gone to LA for a conference next week. Safe travels.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
gunner65
Recipes 

Thanks good info. I do plan on at least seeing NYC this time around.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
gunner65
Recipes 

OK now I hate you! I clicked on the link and noticed that you had Ohhh 16 more brew pubs than my area!!!! I have to travel at least an hour for one. I think I am going to definitely hit the gaslight as it is only 12 miles from my hotel. Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What days will you be there? I work in Parsippany, which is right down the road. There are a couple of nice Irish pubs in the area - Molly Malone's and The Auld Shebeen. If I'm around we could meet after work, shoot the ****.

-Joe

Old 04-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner65 View Post
OK now I hate you! I clicked on the link and noticed that you had Ohhh 16 more brew pubs than my area!!!! I have to travel at least an hour for one. I think I am going to definitely hit the gaslight as it is only 12 miles from my hotel. Thanks again!
Yeah, well, my second adult beverage love is bourbon, and I have a hunch you can get a much better selection than I can, probably for substantially less money. Additionally, I can't make my own bourbon. The grass is always greener, er, bluer.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
gunner65
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
Yeah, well, my second adult beverage love is bourbon, and I have a hunch you can get a much better selection than I can, probably for substantially less money. Additionally, I can't make my own bourbon. The grass is always greener, er, bluer.
LOL! yeah sometime you will have to come down and take the Bourbon Trail Tour! It is best visited by motorcycle!

I will be there from Monday-Friday am. I will be at the Alcatel-Lucent facility in Whippany. I will have a VERY loose schedule as the work is spread out.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi gunner! I had to spend a few days at Anritsu for some training in Fairfield. Man that area sucks, especially the roads with those "jug handle" turn arounds. I did not like the area at all, and I have been all over the US, coast to coast.

Are you getting some training on their microwave products?

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

If you have a rental car, go to JJ Bittings Brewpub in Woodbridge. A little bit of a drive, but much less than an hour. You are also close to Cloverleaf in Caldwell which is a great place I go to all the time. I am 3 beers away from finishing their MBA program in beer.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Even closer is Krogh's in Sparta, which also has excellent beer.

-Joe

Quick Reply