Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transition to kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
Zak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is the difference in the process from bottling to kegging that much harder? I've been putting of kegging til I can make a decent beer to bring out in public to a mass of people instead of those I know who like craft beer.

~Barrel of Monkey's Brewery~
Primary - Mojo's Test Pale Ale #3 (Silmaraleon Pale Ale [modified Sierra Nevada clone])
Bottled - Mojo's Test IPA #1 (Hop Baun IPA [modified Stone IPA clone])
Now Serving - Mojo's Test IPA #1 (Hop Baun IPA [modified Stone IPA clone])

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Get thee to a pubbery!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
redm18
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Kegging can really start to add up in price but the nice thing is you can pick up stuff for cheap a bit at a time and you build your system up. I got 6 ball lock kegs for $210 (probably could have gotten by with fewer kegs but they will keep going up in price) 6 o ring kits for $18 2 20lb CO2 tanks used of CL for $50 a reconditioned regulator with two shut off valves from beverage elements for $35. I got two sets of disconnects 20 feet of beer line 10 feet of gas line and 2 picnic taps from my MIL for christmas I'm guessing thats like 35 bucks. So all I have left to get is a fridge or freezer and I will have my basic setup for about $350 plus whatever I spend on my fridge or freezer. In the future I would like to get some more beverage line and gas line at least 2 more sets of disconnects plus 4 taps 4 shanks 4 tap handles.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After switching to 5 gallon batches, bottling is my least favorite day. I like having the bottles personally, but just sanitizing, filling, and capping kind of sucks. I also don't want to spend the cash on kegging. Bottling is fairly cheap, never had to buy bottles, so only had to buy capper and caps. But I really should just try to accumulate kegging equipment when I see stuff cheaper. I assume the the main things are a keg, co2 tank, and then some little accessories I could find online.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Whattawort
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

3 used ball lock 5gal kegs for less than $50! Thank you Craigslist! Sure they were used for something other than beer before, but enough OxyClean and StarSan will do the trick! Got the large dorm fridge for free but I'm still trying to find a used tank and cheap regulator. I'm all about the bargains. I'm still going to bottle the next batch since there's a line of people wanting some and I don't want them at my house constantly. This is what happens when you make a decent IPA or APA.

Bottled - Swamp Water Mead
Kegged - Ryerish Red
Fermenting - Plinius Maior

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
new2brew1221
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I too went straight into kegging. I have three batches under my belt now, and have bottled from the tap just to give away. i probably have close to $300 in everything. I built a keezer first and made sure it was holding the temp before i brewed my first batch. Look on Craigslist, in my area there is always something related to hombrewing on there. I got the chest freezer for $60, and a used 5lb CO2 tank for $50, tow cornys for $40 each. Really the only new equipment I purchased was the tower and regulator and lines. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

i just got into kegging after almost four years of brewing. I have dropped about 800 so far. I bought a 5 keg premium kit from keg connection, a chest freezer from lowes, a temperature controller online, a used 20 lbs CO2 tank, and 6 corny kegs. Mind you I could have spent a lot less, but I have been brewing a while, so I made the decision to to buy for the long haul instead of buying a setup for only one or two beers to have on tap at one time. Once I the collar to my keezer, i'll be able to have 6 beers on tap instead of four.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 08-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's the other thing, I don't have an extra fridge/freezer to use for keg conditioning. That will be another $100+ pending on size, shape, etc. And then have to craft it to work for kegging which may be over my head.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Quick Reply