Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transferring from fermenting bucket into carboy and other questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
UWDawg13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I didnt see it posted above, but why not put your new batch into the carboy and not worry about transferring the first one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
brewprint
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flars View Post
At the end of three weeks the cake is well compacted in the carboy. I strain the hop debris as I pour into the fermentor. This also removes a lot of the break material. The yeast cake is very clean making harvesting the yeast easy.

When I rack to the bottling bucket I clip the auto siphon well above the cake. I unclip it when three quarters of the beer is in the bottling bucket. I'll then hold it just above the yeast cake. No trub or yeast is transferred. This also leaves just enough beer to cover the harvested yeast in a quart jar.
I need to learn how to harvest yeast.

Primary - Scottish Wee Heavy
Secondary -Winter Ale
Bottled - Bagpipe Ale, Superior Strong Ale, Cream of the Crop Ale, Polish Ale, Autumn Amber Ale, Riversbend Nut Brown, Holiday Ale, Belgian Dark Strong, Raspberry Harvest Wheat, Simcoe Select IPA, True Brew Pilsner

Old 06-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewprint View Post
I need to learn how to harvest yeast.

http://youtu.be/lPYUFJ4bPD4

Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
terryn73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWDawg13 View Post
I didnt see it posted above, but why not put your new batch into the carboy and not worry about transferring the first one?
That was my intention initially, but it seems that doing the primary ferment in a car boy is not recommended unless I want to deal with it exploding all over the place or am willing to invest in more hardware. Like I said, this is not intended to be a constant thing, it's more of a time where I can so I want to take advantage of it. Also, my carboy is only 5 gallons, and that doesn't seem like enough space.

Quick Reply