Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transferring from fermenting bucket into carboy and other questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
terryn73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Transferring from fermenting bucket into carboy and other questions

Hello friends! I am in the midst of brewing batches #3 and #4, an Amarillo APA and a Simcoe IPA. I started the APA last Sunday and would like to try to get the IPA going on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Would it be alright if I rack the APA from my fermenting bucket into my carboy so that I can get the IPA going in my fermenter bucket? I seem to remember that I can rack to a different container after about a week into the primary ferment, but I can't find anything about it to reassure myself that that is correct. Similarly, if I do move the wort, I should leave as much trub behind as I can, is that correct?

TIA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 04:04 AM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 101

You really don't want to rack to a secondary vessel until fermentation is complete. Removing the beer form the yeast cake can stall the fermentation or not let the yeast have time to clean up the natural off flavors of fermentation.
Secondarys are really unnecessary unless you will bulk age high OG beers for months or have additions like oak cubes.
If you like to brew get more primarys.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

What flars said is spot on, but if you've had your beer in the primary since last Sunday, it will probably be fine to rack over to a secondary before your new brew day. Take a gravity reading today, then Monday, if they're the same, rack it into your secondary to free up your primary.

As flars said though, if you plan on brewing a lot, look into getting more primaries!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Drinking: Orange Saison
Bottle conditioning: APA
Fermenting: RIS

Old 06-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
surffisher2a
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it were me, I would go buy another bucket for the new batch. They are cheap and from the sounds of it, you'll be doing more than one batch more often!

Even if primary fermentation is done you risk not taking enough yeast with you that clean up after fermentation. I like to keep the beer on the primary yeast cake at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
brewprint
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It'll be fine if you move it. By what you said it'll have been in the primary about 10 days. I would bet the farm all of the initial fermentation is complete...especially if you used the dry yeast.

Seems like more guys on this forum don't use secondaries. I can't imagine what kinds of chunks they're putting in their bottles.

Primary - Scottish Wee Heavy
Secondary -Winter Ale
Bottled - Bagpipe Ale, Superior Strong Ale, Cream of the Crop Ale, Polish Ale, Autumn Amber Ale, Riversbend Nut Brown, Holiday Ale, Belgian Dark Strong, Raspberry Harvest Wheat, Simcoe Select IPA, True Brew Pilsner

Old 06-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
jfk69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewprint View Post
Seems like more guys on this forum don't use secondaries. I can't imagine what kinds of chunks they're putting in their bottles.
I rarely use secondaries, and I don't put any "chunks" in my bottles. Good fermentation control helps my beers finish fairly quickly, and then careful racking to the bottling bucket, including NOT continuously mashing my racking cane into the trub keeps things out quite nicely. If I'm feeling really anal and looking for a super clear beer, I'll cold crash the primary for a couple days before racking. I'd rather not risk oxidation or contamination by transferring to secondary any more than necessary. The idea that you can't make clear, clean beers without using a secondary is a bygone concept.

Primary #1- Outta My Gourd Pumpkin Ale
Primary #2- Zombie Dust clone
Primary #3- Empty
Bottle Conditioning- Outta My Gourd Pumpkin Ale
Bulk Conditioning- RIS
Serving- Fresh Squeezed IPA, Blue Moon Clone, Otter Balls Amber, Citra Wheat, Cottage House Saison, Coal Porter, Amarillo IPA

Old 06-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewprint View Post
I can't speak for the entire forum, but I've never once used a secondary, and all of my light beers have come out crystal clear. No "chunks" at all. I average about 3 weeks in primary, then bottle. No gelatin, no cold crashing.

It isn't rocket surgery. I've found so many things in brewing have been made more complicated than they need to be.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #8
brewprint
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My main point here is that he can rack to a secondary without any issues whatsoever and does not need to buy another primary. Myself I have two primarys and two secondaries. I have 2 beers in secondaries and am about to brew a batch.

Primary - Scottish Wee Heavy
Secondary -Winter Ale
Bottled - Bagpipe Ale, Superior Strong Ale, Cream of the Crop Ale, Polish Ale, Autumn Amber Ale, Riversbend Nut Brown, Holiday Ale, Belgian Dark Strong, Raspberry Harvest Wheat, Simcoe Select IPA, True Brew Pilsner

Old 06-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
terryn73
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thank you everyone! It seems like the preference is to not rack into a secondary, but not that it cannot be done. I did think about getting another primary, but as I live in a studio apartment and have limited time (except during summer break) I probably will only be doing this as a one off this summer. Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by surffisher2a View Post
If it were me, I would go buy another bucket for the new batch. They are cheap and from the sounds of it, you'll be doing more than one batch more often!

Even if primary fermentation is done you risk not taking enough yeast with you that clean up after fermentation. I like to keep the beer on the primary yeast cake at least 2 or 3 weeks.
At the end of three weeks the cake is well compacted in the carboy. I strain the hop debris as I pour into the fermentor. This also removes a lot of the break material. The yeast cake is very clean making harvesting the yeast easy.

When I rack to the bottling bucket I clip the auto siphon well above the cake. I unclip it when three quarters of the beer is in the bottling bucket. I'll then hold it just above the yeast cake. No trub or yeast is transferred. This also leaves just enough beer to cover the harvested yeast in a quart jar.

Quick Reply