Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transferring Belgian Tripel to Secondary Possible Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Bacchus00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Transferring Belgian Tripel to Secondary Possible Problems

I started this fine weekend transferring my Belgian Tripel to the secondary, so I can free up primary for another brew day I plan on doing next week. While transferring I left the Star San foam in the carboy, and I am guessing since the foam/bubbles float on top of the beer it does not bind and oxidize the beer. However, while siphoning I wasn't paying attention and my siphon sucked up some air (maybe an inch or two in the siphon) and before I could do anything it went through siphon and into the carboy. Then it happened again when i got down to the trub, but it was even less air than the first time. With my first beer comes growing pains, and obviously i see why a lot of people don't bother with a secondary but I didn't want to tie up my primary for the next month or so while my 5g carboy just sits there.

Questions are:

1. The star san foam won't oxidize my beer if i don't wait for the foam to dry before transferring to my secondary

2. Will the air sucked in the siphon definitely oxidize my beer? Is it a crap shoot? or is it too little of an amount to have a great impact on my beer?

Side Note: First 3 weeks of fermenting seemed to go pretty good. Fermented for first week around 68-70, ambient around 62, second week was in a swamp cooler with an aquarium heater around 68, and finally this week i ran into some problems with the aquarium heater so it was 68 most of the week but up around 70-72 the past 2 days. Probably do another 3 weeks plus in the carboy. I have not taken any FG readings, should I do this now?

carboy-full-length-belgian-tripel.jpg   belgian-tripel-top-view-carboy.jpg   belgian-tripel-inside-carboy.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

That little bit of air isn't going to oxidize anything, and the starsan won't hurt anything. Leave it alone and it'll be fine.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Bacchus00
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply