Transferred from primary --> secondary today (temp question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxual

Reaction score
Brewing a MW Fuggles IPA. OG was 1.042-1.046, mine came in at 1.043. Yeast was Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley from a propogator (I made a starter). I let it ferment for 7 days. Final reading was 1.010-1.011, which was the target, so I know that it did ferment... however, the residue in my fermenter was strange, as in, there was barely any. There was a ring of hop residue (which I though was an infection until I recognized it was hops :eek: ). Here's a picture:

Primary fermentation done! on Twitpic

I was expecting a bigger mess. I'm curious if it didn't have something to do with the temperature in my basement. on the first day of fermentation, the sticker thermometer on the side of the fermenter (a 6.5g bucket) was solid at about 65, and today it was 59. My basement is cold, even in the summer.

Could this be why the fermentation wasn't very vigorous? I know the beer is going to be ok, thanks to Mr. Hydrometer, but is this going to harm flavor/alcohol content/anything else?

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Everything here looks/sounds normal except the lack of a mess. Are you saying there was no trub left in the bottom after you racked it? It may not be done fermenting still even if the gravity is 1.010, (this should complete in the secondary if so). Lower temperature can slow fermentation but I wouldn't call 50-65F low by any means. Beer should be fine.

there was about a quarter to a half gallon of trub left in the bottom, yeast and hop sediment. I guess I was just expecting more krausen/evidence of krausen.

half gallon? that would be a LOT of trub. You normally would have say a quarter inch or so, maybe more depending on how well you avoided hop particulate from the boil kettle.

If you'd given it another week or two in the primary, the trub would have compacted right down on the bottom, I bet.

half gallon? that would be a LOT of trub. You normally would have say a quarter inch or so, maybe more depending on how well you avoided hop particulate from the boil kettle.

There was a LOT of hop residue, but we threw three ounces of hop pellets right into the boil.

This sounds normal to me also, I typically get about 1" to 2" of trub in the bottom, but then I usually leave it in prmary for 3 weeks.

+1 on it being fine. I get less mess from cooler, less vigorous ferments. Also I get .5 to 1 gallon of trub since switching to AG. There's a gallon at the bottom of my Barleywine right now.

Back