Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transfering to secondary fermentor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Jake_Allen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transfering to secondary fermentor

I have a gallon of wheat beer currently fermenting in the primary fermentor. Is there a general time line to transfer wheat beers (or 1 gallon batches) to the secondary fermentor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Allen View Post
I have a gallon of wheat beer currently fermenting in the primary fermentor. Is there a general time line to transfer wheat beers (or 1 gallon batches) to the secondary fermentor?
There is plenty of opinions of this subject. Many people just leave it in primary for three weeks. Many transfer to secondary. All really depends on your preference.

Fermenter #1:
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled: Alesmith IPA
Up Next: Buffalo Sweat Clone (FinsFan)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
BrewCrewKevin
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I typically leave anything in Primary until you see the fermentation slow. During the first couple days, you should visibly see your airlock bubbling every 2 or 3 seconds. Once that slows to every 20-30 seconds, I assume most of my yeast is dead, and I transfer to a secondary for a few more weeks (until consistent readings 2 consecutive days)

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincoenen View Post
I typically leave anything in Primary until you see the fermentation slow. During the first couple days, you should visibly see your airlock bubbling every 2 or 3 seconds. Once that slows to every 20-30 seconds, I assume most of my yeast is dead, and I transfer to a secondary for a few more weeks (until consistent readings 2 consecutive days)
Your yeast isn't dead, it's dormant. Why do you use a secondary?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

It's wheat beer, it is not supposed to be crystal clear and it is meant to be consumed fresh! Allow it to ferment and flocculate, total time maybe 10-14 days and package it! My wheat beers are grain to glass in 21 days carbonated and ready to drink.

Cheers!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Allen View Post
For most beers, I don't use a bright tank ("secondary") although there are some that I do. I would not bother transferring to a clearing vessel if I was making a 1 gallon batch of wheat beer. First, because it's a wheat beer it will have a haze anyway, and secondly because it wouldn't be worth it to do so for only a 1 gallon batch of beer that is best consumed fresh.

I'd leave it where it is for 10-14 days, and much of the yeast sediment has dropped out, and then bottle it.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
BrewCrewKevin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
Your yeast isn't dead, it's dormant. Why do you use a secondary?
I do it to get rid of the dormant yeast that becomes trub. It keeps a cleaner, fresher beer without the dormant yeast giving too many off-flavors.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
I do it to get rid of the dormant yeast that becomes trub. It keeps a cleaner, fresher beer without the dormant yeast giving too many off-flavors.
That's true if you go a long time in the fermenter- but not in the week or two that we're talking about. Healthy yeast won't cause autolysis flavors in a small batch at the homebrew level in such a short period of time. I go up to three weeks before transferring some ales, although my preference is about day 14. Others go much longer, and prefer that.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
moffatt163
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
You can sit on trub for several weeks before worrying about the possible off flavors, and in many situations several months. There's more benefit sitting on the yeast bed than rushing to get it to secondary. The "dead" yeast are still working and doing wonderful things for your beer, you don't need to worry about it especially for a hazy wheat beer. Secondary helps clear the beer which I don't imagine is a concern for the OP. The only other reasons to secondary are extended aging with dry hops, wood, coffee whatever...and you start to approach that timeline of over a month. Don't worry and don't mess with nature.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
BrewCrewKevin
Recipes 

Good to know!

I guess I must have read something early on that said you'll get a more clear beer and no chance of off-flavors if you transfer to a secondary. It's so easy to do, that we decided we would just do it on everything.

I know I said after a couple days, but honestly it probably is usually a couple weeks before I get around to transferring

Quick Reply