The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transfer to a secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Tcraft18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Transfer to a secondary?

As I am waiting for my batch of red ale to finish fermenting, I am wondering about using a secondary. When you transfer the beer from the bucket do you need to get any of the sediment in with it or is there still yeast floating around in the beer?

I want to brew another batch of beer tomorrow and only have a glass carboy available to ferment into will that work the same way as a fermenting bucket?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
ingnuty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are a bazillion threads about this... but you do what you want. I have always had a secondary... but then again I just brewed my 5th batch, and all 3 of the ones I've done were pretty darn good. If you're planning on dry hopping you can do that in a secondary or primary... I do mine in secondary. You don't want to suck up the yeast cake on the bottom, try not to disturb that. There is enough live active yeast in suspension that will continue to work (for carbonation). It really depends on your preference. I use mine mostly for conditioning, dry hopping, (or addition of coffee beans for my vanilla java porter), or even clarification. So... to each their own, but don't suck up the grossness from the bottom. Lol

Old 06-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
ColeVet67
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcraft18 View Post
As I am waiting for my batch of red ale to finish fermenting, I am wondering about using a secondary. When you transfer the beer from the bucket do you need to get any of the sediment in with it or is there still yeast floating around in the beer?

I want to brew another batch of beer tomorrow and only have a glass carboy available to ferment into will that work the same way as a fermenting bucket?
It should be safe to transfer into a secondary now. NO.. you want to leave as much of the trub on the bottom as possible.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcraft18 View Post

Secondary fermentation isn't fermentation unless you are adding more sugar. I used a secondary on anything that I want to clear for competition or to give as a gift. Secondary isn't really needed for today's beer. When I started I fermented in my bucket then transferred to my glass carboy just to clear or to dry hop.

Biggest thing though... If you do transfer to secondary, let it sit for 7 days to settle anything that you might suck up from the trub/yeast cake.

-=ô¿ô=-

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Amarillo Pale Ale
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '14
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '14
Keg #1: :-( Empty
Keg #2: California Honey Wheat
Keg #3: Dread Not Sweet Stout
Keg #4: Gentleman's Chocolate Vanilla Imperial Porter
Bottled: Pom-Cran Sour '13, Orange Hefeweizen, Dad's Apple Pie Cider
On-Deck: Golden Spike Belgian Rye

Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
STEVESKI
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There are only 3 scenarios when I ever use a secondary:

1) Some kind of dry hopping or special addition
2) I'm letting it sit in the fermenter for many months
3) I need to free up a fermenting bucket to do another batch.

Sounds to me like you need to rack to secondary due to reason 3. Just make sure it's done with primary fermentation (it hit your FG) before you move it to secondary. Also, yes you're correct, you do not want to rack over the trub at the bottom of the bucket.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
bookworm0367
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another quick tip. If you need to move your primary carboy to another location for the purposes of siphoning to the secondary, move it the night before to let it settle again. I had to move mine and it kicked up a little trub, I let this settle back down before moving.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
ingnuty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm0367 View Post
Another quick tip. If you need to move your primary carboy to another location for the purposes of siphoning to the secondary, move it the night before to let it settle again. I had to move mine and it kicked up a little trub, I let this settle back down before moving.
I rack to secondary right after I move primary bucket. Haha. I figure it'll settle in the week anyway. Good idea to move the night before though!

Old 06-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are a bazillion threads about this...

Actually, the OP is *not* asking whether or not to secondary. S/he is asking *how* to secondary.

I do not secondary but I'm pretty sure ColeVet67 is correct. After all, what would be the point of moving the beer from one formenter to another if you take everything with you; you might as well simply leave it in the first fermenter. But then as I don't secondary I *do* think you might as well leave it in the first fermenter...

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 554 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 150

What size is the carboy? If you are doing a 5 gallon batch and the carboy is 6 gallons I would not transfer to it - too much headspace. I would then use the carboy as a primary fermenter for the second beer. If it is a 5 gallon carboy transfer and start the new batch in the bucket. When transferring you do not want to transfer or stir up any of the trub on the bottom of the bucket. You can tip the bucket a little and put the bottom of the siphon in the corner (deep part) and go carefully so you don't suck up the trub.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
ColeVet67
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy View Post
There are a bazillion threads about this...

Actually, the OP is *not* asking whether or not to secondary. S/he is asking *how* to secondary.

I do not secondary but I'm pretty sure ColeVet67 is correct. After all, what would be the point of moving the beer from one formenter to another if you take everything with you; you might as well simply leave it in the first fermenter. But then as I don't secondary I *do* think you might as well leave it in the first fermenter...
As some people here may cringe... I believe transferring to a secondary does 2 things.. 1) Gets the "beer" off of the hops, spent yeast, and solids... leaving the beer on this yeast cake.. CAN.. alter the flavor. (maybe noticable/not noticable) 2) allows for further clarification and cleanup of the "beer". I have always practiced this method, and have good results. Another reason to secondary would be if adding additional flavorings after primary has completed. (Fruit/Hops etc.. ) I just do it to ensure clairty.. and complete fermentation. Too each their own.

Quick Reply