Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transfer to primary without filtering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Chimney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transfer to primary without filtering?

I attempted my first batch last night and all went well. The only thing I didn't do was to filter the wort as I poured into the primary. I tryed to leave as much sediment in the brewpot as I could but most of it was suspended in the wort. Will this be a problem or should I not worry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Don't worry, some people dump everything from the brewpot in, some try to leave some behind and others run it through a strainer, it really is a matter of choice.

Just leave your beer for 3-4 weeks in your primary, or rack to a secondary after fermentation is complete (when hydrometer readings over 3 successive days remain the same) and the stuff will settle down just fine.....The longer you leave it the more settled/clear it will be.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Chimney
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply Revvy. I was kinda sweating it, but now I can just sit back and watch it bubble!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

No need to filter.

I good rule of thumb though is to leave it in the primary until the sediment settles. Then do your thing.

It sounds like you are racking too soon.

Quick Reply