Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Transfer from fermentor to bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
someara
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transfer from fermentor to bottles

Alright, here's the deal. This is my first batch to cook off and im curious how to get the beer to the bottles! The valve on the bottom of the fermentor tells me that this is what it is for. However, i've also read to siphon it. I have yet to put the sugar in, in which requires stiring which tells me that siphoning would have no advantage over just using the valve. (because stirring would mix all the sediment around)
So, could I just use the valve and run it through a coffee filter before putting it in bottles? Are there any other methods from the pros out there? Im looking to bottle today.
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Typically you would transfer it to a bottling bucket. Do you only have one bucket? If so, see if you can find a large stock pot, cooler, etc. Sanitize that, transfer the beer to that (using either the drain at the bottom if you have one, or siphoning it out). If you siphon make sure not to suck up the yeast and trub on the bottom. If you have a drain, then it's above all that so no worries.

Clean out your fermenter and put the beer back in it to bottle. Or if you are siphoning, bottle from whatever you put the beer in. You really want a spring loaded bottle filler though, otherwise bottling can be a pain...

Old 12-15-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
someara
Recipes 

Well, I do only have one bucket big enough and that's the fermentor bucket. (it has the spout) So you're saying I can just use the valve on the bucket to bottle and be safe from the sediment?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
grnich
Recipes 

You have to add priming sugar to carbonate the beer in the bottles, and that requires you to stir. You don't want to do that with the trub still in the fermenter. That's why you need a bottling bucket. I'd get something big enough to hold it all, clean out your fermenter, siphon it back in, add sugar, then bottle.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That fermentor, with the spigot, is your bottling bucket.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I did my first batch, I added a small measured amount of sugar to each bottle with a measuring spoon. Then siphoned from the primary directly in each bottle. Sometimes we forgot which bottle had had sugar added to so that I got totally flat bottles (oops no sugar in that one) and double primed bottles (oops get a towel!).

This was the old fashioned way and a pain in the butt as you can imagine. Then someone turned me on to the idea of boiling all the sugar in a little pan and adding to the beer in another bucket. Ah so!!! The light bulb went on and things were a lot easier.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'd go invest in another bucket, preferably one without a spigot, siphon to that, clean the bucket with spigot, siphon back, and bottle from there with some tubing and a spring loaded bottling wand (you cant just turn on the spigot and start filling the bottles or you'll get oxidation).

Then, going forward, use the bucket without the spigot as your primary and come bottling day you can just transfer once to your bottling bucket.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Quick Reply