Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > traditional and ancient recipes, scottish preferred?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
animus_divinus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default traditional and ancient recipes, scottish preferred?

im looking for some pretty traditional styles of beer, some old recipes of beers made long before the invention of refridgeration.. so preferably pre 1800s if i can find any recipes this old.. im fine drinking my beer warm in a more traditional fashion

anyway.. im mostly looking for scottish types, decended from a highlander clan, i also practice swordfighting and play bagpipes, so i guess its only fitting that i experiment with some old scottish ale recipes

preferably.. id like recipes that i could make these beers from scratch, without the use of pre-made malts... does anyone have any good leads on such recipes?

right now my brewing equipment is a complete equipment. hydrometer, hoses, valves and what not.. only thing is im using a 1 gallon glass jug right now for experimentation purposes, and ill step it up to a 5 gallon glass jug when i tune in on the right recipe...

so, any help or information would be much appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
MrMcPeach
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Fellow Scot here although I now live in California. Made an 80 shilling for my first batch. Didn't turn out very well though, but it must have been me because my brother in law made the same thing and it was delicious.

Can't really offer any really old suggestions I'm afraid. Why not start with a kit or 2 of the obvious choices such as a 70/80 shilling or a Wee Heavy? You could develop your own recipe from there.

Also, 1 gallon is not very much beer considering the time it will take to make and how long you will have to ferment it for.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
animus_divinus
Recipes 

well.. im also a bit of a minimalist.. and many of these recipes use like 4-5 different malts, and i know in the middle ages and renaissance periods they didnt use, heck, regionally they didnt have all these malt varieties people are using now... so i guess im going to have to get about a pound of each of a variety of different types of malts common in scotland in that time period and experiment... peated malt seems to be a major one.. so i might start there as my primary malt, order that and a couple other malts common to the area and just go for it.. brew a gallon at a time and see what i come up with i guess.. and history dictates that i shouldnt use hops.. but instead alternative, older bittering agents like gruit, sage, heather, etc

Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's a bunch of links to historical recipes here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer...y-sites-58021/

There's quite a few 1800's recipes scattered in there, and for english/scottish (maybe) look for the Society for Creative anacronism link I put in there (post 7 has the sca stuff in it.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #5
animus_divinus
Recipes 

well, peated malt, pale ale malt and roasted barley with northern hops and scottish ale yeast would be a nice start to making a wee heavy... maybe i should start with a simple wee heavy recipe as a starting point... then i can experiment with removing the hops for gruit and convert it into a recipe that would have been possible in medieval scotland

Old 03-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #6
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heather ale?

spence

Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
animus_divinus
Recipes 

would a heather ale be a good example of a pre-hops scottish ale?

im really thinking about finding a SIMPLE.. basic wee heavy recipe, and work my way from there to make something using more archaic ingredients..., however, most recipes i find use 4-5 different malts, then another 4-5 different yeasts and i know this cant be all that traditional... so im looking for something that uses one type of hops, and 1 or two grain malts.. if anyone knows of any like this that are good, id love to know...

i guess i could get a IBU ratio to match that of a wee heavy using northern hops with a combination of peated malt and either roasted barley or pale ale malt... anyone think this is a good idea?... if so, i would just buy a small quantity of the hops, peated malt, roasted barley malt, and pale ale malt and experiment with various combinations of two of the three, or try single malt ales and see what i come up with... i guess if i tried each one with the same yeast and each malt in a single malt beer i could taste the differences in the malt and find a ratio based on the flavors i get from them

i guess thatll be my goal for beer making, traditional ingredients, and minimalistic recipes

Last edited by animus_divinus; 03-31-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
animus_divinus
Recipes 

so theres my list of supplies... northern hops, scottish ale yeast, pale ale malt, roasted barley malt, and the peated malt.. im going to make one batch of each malt in a single malt, single hop type ale and taste these in their purest form to understand how the different malts add different flavors to the beer... after that i can begin to experiment with trying different varieties of hops, and other bittering agents and yeasts... going to shoot for a general scottish style, most likely closer to a wee heavy

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Jeeperforlife
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I really dont think youll be happy with the results of a peated malt SMaSH....or a roasted barley SMaSH...really when doing SMaSH recipes youd need to use a base malt as your single malt type.

BTW - Before hops they did use heather as a bittering agent in beer. Might want to check into spruce tips as well. Good luck

Bottled - Am. Wheat, ESB

Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperforlife View Post
i really dont think youll be happy with the results of a peated malt smash....or a roasted barley smash...really when doing smash recipes youd need to use a base malt as your single malt type.

Btw - before hops they did use heather as a bittering agent in beer. Might want to check into spruce tips as well. Good luck
+1

Quick Reply