Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > totally new/what do I buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
horsejody
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default totally new/what do I buy?

My husband wants to start brewing beer. Actually, he has left it to me to find the kit, and I will most likely do a lot of the brewing. What is the best home kit to buy, and what equipment do I need for bottling? I was hoping to not spend a ton of money. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A basic kit from one of the big online stores is a good way to get started. If you have a local homebrew store, even better. You'll save on shipping and usual get some great advice. As for which kit, brew what you like to drink.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Look at the beginners kits at austinhomebrew.com, morebeer.com, northernbrewer.com, or find a good local home brew store. All of the beginners kits should come with some caps and a capper, and will get you on your way. A lot of them will even throw in an ingredient kit.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I got the Brewer's Best Deluxe kit at my local store for about $85. Was a good way to go about starting off cheaply.

Contains:
-6.5 Gallon Ale Pail Primary Fermenter with Drilled and Grommeted Lid
-6.5 Gallon Ale Pail Bottling Bucket with Bottling Spigot
-5 Gallon Glass Carboy
-Home Beermaking Book
-Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
-Twin Lever Capper
-Triple Scale Hydrometer
-Airlock
-Drilled Universal Carboy Bung
-Liquid Crystal Thermometer
-Siphon Hose and Shut-Off Clamp
-Fermtech Auto Siphon
-Bottle Filler Stick
-Bottle Brush
-Instructions

I then added a wine thief and a better thermometer and was off an brewing that day with one of their all-in one beer kits and a couple cases of bottle.

Since then, I've added alot of goodies, but a few I'd get him right away in addition to the kit are:

-John Palmer's Book: How to Brew
-Some Starsan No Rinse Sanitizer so you can throw the supplied crap away.
-A nice big stainless spoon or plastic paddle.

This is a cheap way to get started, but be prepared, the spending doesn't stop.....

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

One of the vendor members here is Brewmasters Warehouse. The equipment kits he has are at this page: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...equipment-kits A lot of the other members here seem quite satisfied with his service. I haven't personally bought from him since I work part time at my LHBS (Local Home Brew Shop) and get a good employee discount.

However he can't ship to Georgia.

Edit: His kits have everything you need except a big kettle to boil in and bottles to bottle in.

That said, it goes without saying that I would also suggest that if you have a local shop you should give them at least some of your business.

Edit2: Oh, the equipment kit doesn't have caps, but the True Brew ingredient kits elsewhere on his site do have caps.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOP-HEAD View Post

-John Palmer's Book: How to Brew
-Some Starsan No Rinse Sanitizer so you can throw the supplied crap away.
-A nice big stainless spoon or plastic paddle.

This is a cheap way to get started, but be prepared, the spending doesn't stop.....
I second HOP-HEAD on this for the most part, eventually you will want the book he recommends but the first edition is online for free at howtobrew.com. Also, your local library may have some home brewing books, I know mine does.

And don't throw away the included cleanser whether it be easy clean in the Brewers Best ket or the C-brite in the True Brew Maestro kit, just use it as a cleanser and use star-san as a sanitizer.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can't say sanitizer enough!!! That is a must and shame on companies for not including that in their beginner kits. If you don't sanitize your bottles and all of your equipment, you will ruin your beer completely. You can use bleach-water solution to start off, but you have to make sure there is no residue left on any of the equipment.

Best tip I've seen on these boards is cutting a small section of tubing for the bottling wand to the spigot connection instead of having your beer on the counter and sitting on the kitchen floor. MUCH easier on the back.

Good luck and welcome!

~juice

Slowly working up to 4 beers on tap of my newly built keezer.

Bucket-American Wheat
Kegged-Brown Ale
Next Kits-Breakfast Stout, Dunkel

Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you are into not spending money, check out craigslist for used equipment too. Check the commercial sites for the basics, then look see what is on CL in your area. You might get lucky.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

between a LHBS and ocean state job lot(or any like stores in your area)you can get all you need for bout $50 plus ingredients.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
If you are into not spending money, check out craigslist for used equipment too. Check the commercial sites for the basics, then look see what is on CL in your area. You might get lucky.
If you do buy a kit, you can save some money by getting a Better Bottle instead of a glass carboy. Personally, I'd pay extra money to have the BB instead of glass, so the fact that it's cheaper is just a nice bonus. Some people like glass better, but if you're just starting off it's not likely to make a difference so long as you're careful not to scratch it while cleaning.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply