The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > totally new to homebrewing - feeling overwhelmed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Catalina
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default totally new to homebrewing - feeling overwhelmed

I'm new to homebrewing. I haven't even bought a kit yet. I have been a big beer girl for a long time yet and want to take my hobby to the next level. But I'm already feeling overwhelmed with all the details. How can I begin in the shallow end and not feel like this is all hopelessly over my head?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
How can I begin in the shallow end and not feel like this is all hopelessly over my head?
Buy a kit. Throw out the directions and find new ones here. If it were difficult, I wouldn't do it.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Hellfish76
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Most LHBS have brewing demos that they put on from time to time. Attending one of those is a great way to see the brewing process and realize that it isn't all that scary of a process.

The Complete Joy Of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian is a good book that will explain everything step by step.

I promise you that if you can boil water and keep things sanitized (not as hard as it sounds) you can make beer.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO, I think you should get a kit and buy Palmer. Read the sections in Palmer that are necessary for a kit (which isnt much). Then brew according to that.

Once you do this, then come back to this site to read and post.

Otherwise it would definitely feel overwhelming.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Always on my mind. Catalina....seek and you shall find.....Catalina.....you were always so kind.....I'll be there for you.........

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Watch videos on YouTube. There are some crappy ones out there, but there are also a lot of good ones. Once you see it, you'll realize its really no big deal. You can also purchase "how to" vids from a lot of places online and probably at your LHBS

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
BrewDocND
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad View Post
IMHO, I think you should get a kit and buy Palmer. Read the sections in Palmer that are necessary for a kit (which isnt much). Then brew according to that.

Once you do this, then come back to this site to read and post.

Otherwise it would definitely feel overwhelming.
I read How to Brew before I did anything else. You won't understand a lot of it, but after a batch or two bells will start going off

Kegged- Scottish Heavy (first kegged batch and I didn't f#&% it up!)
Bottled- Belgian Dubbel (Brewing Classic Styles).
Bottled- French Saison (BCS) Bottled March 17.
Belgian Pale with JP dregs Bottled Feb 3.
Dumped- 1.5 gallons Dubbel on orval/JP dregs colonized by fruit flies :(

Old 03-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

First and foremost, relax. It's really hard to screw this up. Besides, this is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun.

Next get a kit of a beer you like, but stay away from high gravity beers that may take months to carb and condition, nothing is worse than making a batch of beer that won't be ready for 6 months or more.

Third, throw out the instructions and read this sticky in the beginner's section.

Fourth, read this thread to realize just how hard it really IS to screw this beer stuff up.

Fifth, see instruction number 1

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you looked into finding a local homebrew club? I learn best by watching and doing. My club often does a "teach a friend to brew day"...

If that's not an option, then buy a good starter kit from your local shop, buy an extract ingrdient kit, follow those directions and you'll get a good beer. Once you've done that once or twice, start reading and asking question to refine your process.

Brewing is fairly forgiving as a whole but there is ALWAYS room for improvement...

Things you'll want to focus on are:
- sanitation... Once you're done boiling the wort (the stuff you're gonna ferment), you have to be careful to not introduce anything that'll grow and infect your beer (spores, wild yeast and bacteria). I clean my stuff with PBW and then sanitize with StarSan (follow the directions for both). Just clean and sanitize anything that is gonna touch the wort/beer.
- fermentation... Try to keep your temperatures ~68 degrees and stable. If you're in San Fran and don't use a/c to cool your house, then consider putting the fermenter in a second bathtub (if you have one) because the water mass changes temp slower than the day/night temp fluctuations there. You can add a bit of ice or warm water if needed.

Those two things, if done correctly will produce good beer. If you've bought an ingredient kit, then it's a proven recipe that'll probably be good.

If you want a good starter read, look here: http://www.howtobrew.com/ no need to read the whole thing now, just read about the beginner stuff.

If you want to listen to some good podcasts, go here: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/Brew-Strong and listen to as many as you can... I just downloaded ALL of them and listen to them on my commute too and from work. I've learned a bunch and it's easier for me to digest than simply reading about it.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Ell
Recipes 

I bought a kit from Northern Brewer - the cheapest one with buckets and everything. The best part was, the instructions were clear and concise, and there's a DVD right there in the box.

It really is hard to screw up. My first beer wasn't great, but I found that if you drank enough of them, you cared less. The second was better... the third is conditioning while numbers 4 and 5 ferment.

Oh, btw, it's addictive.

Quick Reply