Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > It took a while

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
laradactyl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default It took a while

My situation is a little unusual in that I have been studying, building and buying equipment for about a year before I was actually able to brew a batch of beer. There were health issues and a move. I have posted some of my diy projects here in the past.

Yesterday I finally got around to my first batch. It is a porter extract kit from Williams brewing. Maybe the actual start was 3days ago since that is when I made my first starter on the diy stirplate which I built a year or so ago. The starter went fine despite the boil over and the realization that cold crashing a yeast starter takes more than 24 hours.

Brew day went well but I did forget to do a few of things. First of all I forgot to add the whirlfloc. Then I rushed to drain the brew kettle after whirlpooling but without a rest to let the sediment settle. And I know I am not the first to forget to take a hydrometer reading of the og. I may have slightly over filled the fermentation bucket by a half gallon or so.

I think that covers the mistakes that I know about. The fermenter bucket is in a refrigerator under the control of a stc1000 set at 18.5C about 65F. This morning the blow off tube is gently blowing bubbles in the starsan at the bottom of the collection jar.

I have high hopes of this being a drinkable beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
saskd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

All of those mistakes sound very minor. You will have drinkable, and probably even good, beer. Congratulations on your first batch!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Nice!

I took off from brewing (moved) and when I started back up I made mistakes in all 4 of my brew days. Rust combined with new equipment and new details (learned about water and made my first all-grain) made for plenty of mistakes.

A good idea is to make a check-off list. And get what you can ready beforehand.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
j1n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Well, props for starting off with controlled fermentation temps. The mistakes you made are very minor and i wouldn't worry about it at all.

I use fermcaps for foam control when making starters. getting a boil over in the kitchen is not fun and the wife doesn't like that. A boil over when i'm brewing outside is no big deal though so i dont use the fermcaps in my boil.

Bottled - Pumpkin Ale, Hard Cider
On Tap - Bells 2 <3 Clone, Kolsch
Kicked - Irish Red, Dead Guy Clone

Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
laradactyl
Recipes 

Thanks for the reassurance guys. The beer is still "perking" away like the Maxwell House coffee pot.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
j1n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by laradactyl View Post
Thanks for the reassurance guys. The beer is still "perking" away like the Maxwell House coffee pot.
That's an exciting thing when your first starting off. I know after my first brew i couldn't wait for that air lock to start singing.

Also since you are starting already with controlled fermentation temps, i'm fairly confident your beer is gonna turn out pretty good.
Bottled - Pumpkin Ale, Hard Cider
On Tap - Bells 2 <3 Clone, Kolsch
Kicked - Irish Red, Dead Guy Clone
PIGMAN Likes This 
Old 10-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
laradactyl
Recipes 

Well it looks like the porter will end up being in the primary for a week or two longer than expected. Had minor surgery (removal of chemo port) yesterday which limits the use of my right arm for a few days. The beer will probably end up being in primary for 3 1/2 to 4 weeks before bottling. From what I have read I don't think this should be a problem.

Should I lower the temp a couple of days before bottling?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Guessing all went well…

No problem with a longer primary.

No need I'm aware of with lowering/raising the temp, though I know there are some who like to cold crash their beer prior to bottling to help with clearing. I don't have much problem with clear beer, though I usually leave mine a week in the fridge these days at a minimum. But I don't care too much about crystal clear either.

Take a few extra days to heal up and don't worry about it.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 829 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 298

Just a few things to make you feel better. I have never used Whirlfloc. I don't whirlpool, I just dump everything into the fermenter. I don't get hung up about a minor difference in quantity of wort. I have left a beer in the primary fermenter for 9 weeks. Dang, that was good beer. I should learn to be more patient about leaving my beer in the fermenter instead of trying to get it into the bottles at 3 weeks.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #10
laradactyl
Recipes 

Yes all went well with the surgery. Best of all I've been cancer free for almost a year now.

I suspect the beer will come out just fine as well.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS