Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Took a FG reading today...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
03rangerxlt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

just a couple more pics and a quick vid of the airlock activity...

tempurature has fallen

if you peer into the bung hole, the foam is totally fallen and there is just some foam and junk on the surface of the beer.

and a quick 40 sec vid of airlock activity:
http://youtu.be/EhQhTIzGW_Y
So I think we are going to keep an eye on the FG and hopefully bottle this Friday. (???????)

Is 2 weeks in the bottle enough. I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. Seems like this is a lot of hit or miss.

Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #12
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks like it dropped a degree between the pictures.

Superbowl is Feb 5. That's 3 weeks. If you have somewhere you can keep the bottles above 70 F (even pushing 80 F), they will probably be decently carb'd in 2 weeks or less (no guarantees). The key to speeding up carbonation is to keep them warm. At higher temperatures the yeast work quicker, at lower temperatures the yeast slow down; below 60, and it might not carb at all. It may seem obvious, but I've got to say it ....... too high a temperature and you can kill the yeast; that's probably around 100 F, but I would keep the bottles below 80 F.

The longer you leave the beer in the fermenter on the yeast, the cleaner the taste will be, and there will be less sediment in the bottle.

I strongly recommend leaving the beer in the fermenter for another week. To help ensure the beer finishes, move it to a warm location, at least 70 F. The beer is almost finished, so higher temperatures will not hurt it.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just watched your video. It is still going. When you don't get any airlock activity for a couple of minutes at a time is when you should start taking gravity readings.

Quick Reply