Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Took a FG reading today...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
03rangerxlt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Took a FG reading today...

Ok, we took a Final Gravity reading today on this recipe:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...t-call-me-hefe

Shoultz-Meyer Brewery Don't call me Hefe
Weizen/Weissbier - Extract

Ingredients:
Briess Bavarian Wheat Liquid Extract 6 lbs, 8 oz

Saaz, Czech Pellets 1 oz @ 60 mins

Danstar Munich 1 ea

Recipe Specifications.

OG
1.044 - 1.052

FG
1.010 - 1.014

IBU
8 - 15

SRM
2 - 8

ABV
4.30 - 5.60

When we took our Original Gravity reading, it was high at 1.060. After 7 days in the fermenter, we are at 1.021. We were told this beer ferments kinda fast at 7 to 10 days, and thats why we started with this one.

Given our numbers, what kind of FG should we be looking at. When do we know when the beer is ready to be bottled? I assume when the FG readings don't change and are consistant?

We each tried a sip of our beer today after we took the hydrometer readings, and it was surprsingly good! It kinda tasted like flat beer, a little lighter on flavor than I thought, with a hint of citrus and bannana flavor. I liked it!

Once we get it bottled, how long are we looking at before its drinkable/carbonated? We are hoping to be able to serve it at our superbowl party. Like I said earlier, this beer was picked because of its relatively fast fermentation period. We've been told maybe 3 weeks for carbonation. At this point we are just crossing our fingers on a completed batch for the superbowl party.

Thanks guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Leave it in primary till you get a stable FG over three days. Then give it 2-3 weeks in the bottle. wheat beers can get ready pretty quick.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
born3z
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Leave it in primary till you get a stable FG over three days. Then give it 2-3 weeks in the bottle. wheat beers can get ready pretty quick.
+1 Having a consistent reading over a few days is the only way to know your beer is finished.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
DogTail
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? If your hydrometer is properly calibrated, it should read 1.000 when floating in pure water. Since both your original and final gravity are both high and it seems you hit the ABV you were shooting for I would highly recommend this. I have a hydrometer that consistently reads high, knowing this going in I can adjust and act accordingly.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
03rangerxlt
Recipes 

Yep, we calibrated the hydrometer and it read correctly.

What can cause the high OG and FG? I take it there was something during the prep for fermentation that may have caused the higher OG/FG.

I am wondering... We actually used 3.5 lbs of powdered extract and half a container of liquid extract.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rangerxlt
I am wondering... We actually used 3.5 lbs of powdered extract and half a container of liquid extract.
that's the problem. Dry and liquid extract don't convert one to one by weight. My estimate of the combination you used would give you a OG of about 1.055, with some variation if you eyeballed half the LME.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
03rangerxlt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
that's the problem. Dry and liquid extract don't convert one to one by weight. My estimate of the combination you used would give you a OG of about 1.055, with some variation if you eyeballed half the LME.
Well mystery (a mystery to me anyways) explained!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
03rangerxlt
Recipes 

aight guys, total newb-ness here again. we've just taken the second hydrometer reading on day 8 of brewing our fast fermentating beer recipe. Just wondering if we are seeing a consistant enough FG to procede with bottling. There is still airlock activity; its just a steady stream of small bubbles working up through the star-san in the airlock.

The beer smells very good! Has a nice color to it too. Its a little cloudy, but it's no longer foaming ridiculously. We are trying to be patient, but also get this carbonated in time for our superbowl/engagement/housewarming/birthdayx2 party.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

By not foaming up as much do you mean the krausen has not totally fallen yet? It is probably still cleaning up.

I have bottled 2 brews at 1.020 when they were supposed to drop lower and I did not have any issues with bottle bombs so if you really only care about your deadline you could probably bottle and be safe. If you wait another week or so in primary your beer will most likely be a little more refined.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2004 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Looks like it dropped to 1.020 to me. It might still be creeping down to a stable FG. Ferments can take a while to knock off the last few points sometimes.

Quick Reply