Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too sweet...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Too sweet...

I just tasted my first all grain American Pilsner. For my taste it was too sweet. Could I replace some of the flake maize with rice for less sweetness, and if so how much and what type? My goal is to make good beer from readily available ingredients. Also, can you get sick from tasting your beer too early? My buddies tasted my pale ale after 3 weeks and claimed to have all gotten the $hits. I think they are messing with me.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
I just tasted my first all grain American Pilsner. For my taste it was too sweet. Could I replace some of the flake maize with rice for less sweetness, and if so how much and what type? My goal is to make good beer from readily available ingredients. Also, can you get sick from tasting your beer too early? My buddies tasted my pale ale after 3 weeks and claimed to have all gotten the $hits. I think they are messing with me.
If it's too sweet, and you used corn, maybe you underhopped? What was the recipe, and the FG?

You don't get sick from drinking green beer, except for the possible gastrointestinal effects, as your friends have discovered. I think it's because of the live yeast that most people aren't used to- it can wreck havoc on some people's digestive system!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
If it's too sweet, and you used corn, maybe you underhopped? What was the recipe, and the FG?

You don't get sick from drinking green beer, except for the possible gastrointestinal effects, as your friends have discovered. I think it's because of the live yeast that most people aren't used to- it can wreck havoc on some people's digestive system!
The recipe was 8# 2 row american grain, 2# flake maize, 3/4oz clusters (not my recipe, but the HB store i went to) It has bitterness at the end, but the first taste is sweet and creamy. FG is 1.010

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Adding rice instead of corn will not help with sweetness. Both are cheap adjuncts macro-brewers use to lighten body and reduce costs.

If you are doing all grain, you probably need to control mashing better. What temperature did you mash? Higher mash temperatures will produce a less fermentable wort, creating a sweeter beer. If you want a drier crisper beer, mash at the lower range.

Quick Reply