Too Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryLane98

Reaction score
I'm a first time brewer. I brewed a red ale, following all of the directions. My beer turned out really good, with a lot of head and fizz. It seemed way too strong to me though. 2 341ml beers and I was done, which doesn't seem normal. Honestly, it knocked me on my butt. Are there different things which affect the strength of beer?

The amount of fermentables in the wort affect the alcohol content. So if you use a ton of LME/DME or sugar, you'll end up with a stronger beer.

If you post the recipe, and the OG/FG we can help you out a lot more.

Tons of factors come in to play for me. Whether I've eaten, time of day, sleep deprived or not....etc etc etc. As mentioned above, we need to know the recipe to figure out alcohol percentage to know for sure.

Or you can just mail me a couple of samples and I will get back to you on the results :mug:

Homebrew tends to be stronger than a commercial beer of the same style. Post the recipe and we can give you an idea of the ABV.

what do you normally drink and how much of it? curious to see what your yardstick for drunk is. :mug:

Latest posts

Back