Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too Soon to Move to All Grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
FleurDeLis425
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too Soon to Move to All Grain?

At this point, I have a few extract batches under my belt and have started to venture out and attempt brewing different styles of beers. There are recipes I want to make but the problem I am facing in my local home brew store really only has Light and Dark extract on hand, which makes brewing some recipes more difficult.

This is something that could be solved by moving to AG. But I am wondering if me doing that is just too much too soon. I have heard of people brewing extract for years before moving to AG brewing. Any thoughts? Was thinking of perhaps going with a BIAB vs. the cooler.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
oneandahalfshepherds
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts

You got this! Go AG

"Now is the time to think of only one thing, that which I was born for" EH

Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
s4l
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could go AG, but BIAB may be easier to start with if you don't have the funding to go out and get the cooler and hardware. I'm going to start BIAB my next brew day.

Winter Warmer

**In Primary**
Empty. :(

**Bottled**
NB Irish Red - 02 Apr 13
BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde - 28 Apr 13

# of Brews: 2 // Total # of Gallons: 10

Old 05-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Fractional
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

if you move to AG your tinkering will never be done. but its much funner then extract. go for it!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
ScottG58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

All grain is not difficult. It requires more time and equipment. I started extract, tried a partial mash and bought a ten gallon pot, burner, false bottom and cooler.

The main thing that helped my jump to all grain was the purchase of brewing software that spat out a brew sheet with water volumes and temperature.

I have had one all grain batch that was bad. In retrospect I think I rushed the yeast and it had nothing to do with the mash.

You will likely find that you enjoy having the control over what is in your beer that all grain gives.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

I did 2 batches of extract, then 1 of BIAB, and on to all-grain. It can be intimidating to migrate, but it's not difficult. Just do reading and research on it. All-grain brewing is a ton of fun.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
lazyhophead
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I started on day one with all grain. It was very overwhelming at first but I'm glad I started that way.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

All grain is not as complex or as hard as it can appear. I did 1 extract kit following the instructions and was so intrigued by the process that I got John Palmer's book How To Brew and studied it and built a 3 gallon all grain system for batch number 2. Since then I just kept going. Say that the tinkering never ends is very true. I have changed this part and swapped out that and improved this. All grain gives you full control. Doing BIAB (check out the sticky in the All Grain & Partial Mash Forum) is actually all grain uses less equipment but works just as well. I say Go for it!!!

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 05-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #9
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's never too early or too late to do AG. It's just a matter of feeling comfortable with the extra steps.

After a couple years of partial mashes, BIAB style, I bought the Basic Brewing: Stepping Into All Grain DVD. Watched it. Thought it was too complicated. Didn't feel comfortable trying it.

A couple years later, I watched it again and thought, "This isn't hard. It's like making bagels. None of the steps is that tough, there are just lots and lots of easy steps."

So I went for it.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 229

AG is as easy as BIAB in 1 pot, if you want to make it simple, its no harder than brewing a extract, just adds 1/2hr to 1 hr of time, and yes it can be that simple.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Quick Reply