Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
homebrewnewb86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Too much yeast?

I just read in another thread to not worry about fermentation delays, and to wait 24-72 hours for activity to begin...

I thought that I had somehow killed my yeast. About 36 hours had passed with zero activity. The original pitch: I added about 1 1/2 cups of wort to a sterile mason jar and added my room temp liquid yeast, shook vigorously.

This is my first non-kit brew, by the way.

I added more yeast after not seeing any signs of fermentation (same amount of liquid yeast) using the same pitching method, but stirring and aerating gently, not shaking it.

Fermentation began this morning. My airlock is very active.

Will my finished product be okay? Should I ferment as normal, or should I adjust my fermentation time?

-thanks
Partial-Mash Newb

P.S. The recipe is the "Porter" in The Brewmaster's Bible, if that makes a difference.

Last edited by homebrewnewb86; 02-03-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: additional info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewnewb86 View Post
I just read in another thread to not worry about fermentation delays, and to wait 24-72 hours for activity to begin...

I thought that I had somehow killed my yeast. About 36 hours had passed with zero activity. The original pitch: I added about 1 1/2 cups of wort to a sterile mason jar and added my room temp liquid yeast, shook vigorously.

I added more yeast after not seeing any signs of fermentation (same amount of liquid yeast) using the same pitching method, but stirring and aerating gently, not shaking it.

Will my finished product be okay? Should I ferment as normal, or should I adjust my fermentation time?

-thanks
Partial-Mash Newb

P.S. The recipe is the "Porter" in The Brewmaster's Bible, if that makes a difference.
You don't adjust "fermentation times." Ever. Let it sit until it is done and you only know when it is done by reading a hydrometer sample.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Your fine, let it go normally... for me that's 28 days plus 5 day cold crash but I have enough fermenters to keep 5 batches in progress...

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

homebrewnewb86 Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewnewb86 View Post

-thanks
Partial-Mash Newb

The only way I can think of that you "killed" your yeast the first time was if the wort that you put it in was too hot.

How long did you let it gain a foothold and multiply in the starter before you pitched it? If you just added it, shook it up and then immediately pitched it, I'm afraid you didn't give it time to do any good.

Leave it alone 3 weeks in the fermenter and take a hydrometer reading. Chances are it will be well-finished by then.

You may want to consider making or buying a stirplate.

Quick Reply