The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much wort, missed OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Too much wort, missed OG

I brewed a DIPA last night and I miscalculated my boil off. I was shooting for 5 gallons and ended up with 6. I believe that (and bad mash efficiency) caused me to miss my OG by about 10 points. I wouldn't worry that much, but my DIPA is going to be more like an IPA in terms of ABV.

Is there anything I can do now? Dump in some DME or sugar? Or is the die pretty much cast?

Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you ran off an extra gallon and lost 10 points your efficiency should still be good. The easy solution is to add a pound of sugar(make a simple syrup first) and add to the fermentor. This will dry your beer out a bit though. Personally I always like to add around a pound of sugar to my double ipa's since I prefer a dry beer.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Personally I would leave it as is because not only is the ABV off but also the balance of hops and malt will be off as well do to the larger volume and less boil off for utilization so the bitter of the DIPA may not be there either. Just my .02, take notes and chalk it up for the next batch

Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman
Personally I would leave it as is because not only is the ABV off but also the balance of hops and malt will be off as well do to the larger volume and less boil off for utilization so the bitter of the DIPA may not be there either. Just my .02, take notes and chalk it up for the next batch
Good call about the balance. I guess this will have to be a "learning" beer.

Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...

Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Add dissolved dme or sugar, it's a small enough amount and not a concern. Your calculations expected a certain OG so none of your bitterness will be thrown off by adding more fermentables and attaining that OG.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 07-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Add dissolved dme or sugar, it's a small enough amount and not a concern. Your calculations expected a certain OG so none of your bitterness will be thrown off by adding more fermentables and attaining that OG.
His og was off by having an extra gallon of wort not poor efficiency, therefore extra fermentables will change his gu-bu ratio and the perceived bitterness. That being said I'd still hit it with a pound of sucrose but opinions vary.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I'd just leave it and enjoy it as is. It'll become beer, maybe not the exact beer that you wanted. If you invite friends over and say nothing about it other than you made it yourself they'll all still be impressed.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
FreshZ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So, a week and half in and I took a gravity sample. It's already blown past the Hopville estimated FG of 1.020. It's at 1.011. Could end up close to my planned ABV.

Weird thing though, it smelled like nothing, kinda like old malt or something. The taste was pure grapefruit. I guess this will even out? I do plan on dry hopping with Amarillo and cascade, so that should fix the aroma. Anybody else have this strong grapefruit taste?

Quick Reply