Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much water in air lock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
jmelliott87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much water in air lock?

Newbie question for my first brew. Can you have too much water in a 3 pc air lock?

image-4179060290.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not really...but if you have some temperature swings, you could be in danger of "suckback" if the temperate drops (basically, if the temp drops too much, the gas in the headspace of the fermenter compacts, creating a vacuum and your airpiece liquid could end up being sucked into the beer). For this reason, I use vodka in the airlock - water is not sanitary. Some folks use sanitation liquid (like star san), but cheap vodka seems to work fine for me.

Dan-The-Man Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Dan-The-Man
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Not really...but if you have some temperature swings, you could be in danger of "suckback" if the temperate drops (basically, if the temp drops too much, the gas in the headspace of the fermenter compacts, creating a vacuum and your airpiece liquid could end up being sucked into the beer). For this reason, I use vodka in the airlock - water is not sanitary. Some folks use sanitation liquid (like star san), but cheap vodka seems to work fine for me.
I have just started brewing but this is something that I have not thought of. It is an excellent idea though and I think I will use it on my next batch. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

There is a fill line marked on the airlock...use it.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-The-Man View Post
I have just started brewing but this is something that I have not thought of. It is an excellent idea though and I think I will use it on my next batch. Thanks!
You're welcome. Every so often I just go to the local liquor store and grab the cheapest plastic bottle of vodka I can find - it's usually on the bottom shelf and costs ~$7. If you do get suckback...an ounce of cheap vodka in your beer won't be noticeable.

Quick Reply