Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much sugar/over carbed

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 102
Default Too much sugar/over carbed

So I've bottled my Imperial Mango IPA, and being a drunk dummy I added way too much sugar to the priming solution for bottling.
Basically, they're over carbonated, volcano out with foam, and are disgustingly sweet.
Is there anything I can do with them, or is this batch just toast?

__________________
Ailstock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Obliviousbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Benidorm, Alicante/Spain
Posts: 1,571
Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Default

Some users are going to tell you a lor of things that can actually help you but I haven´t found a good way to aproach this myself. Only thing I can tell you is be carefull with bottle bombs.

__________________
Obliviousbrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 5,997
Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Default

How long have they been in the bottle and then how long in the fridge. You may be able to get them to stop gushing with a week or so in the fridge. If it is overly sweet are you sure you did not bottle too soon, what was the expected FG and what did you get???

Bottle bombs are an extreme possibility so use caution and put the bottles somewhere safe More info needed.........................

__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 102
Default

They've been in the bottle for 3 weeks or so.

I don't know the exact gravity but I know it's a 9%-10% ABV. They are currently just in my closet. Would putting them in the fridge calm the carbonation?
The biggest thing I'm worried about is hoping the sweetness goes away. Cause they smell mango/IPAlike but the taste is like strawberries with a pound of sugar.

__________________
Ailstock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 5,997
Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailstock View Post
They've been in the bottle for 3 weeks or so.

I don't know the exact gravity but I know it's a 9%-10% ABV. They are currently just in my closet. Would putting them in the fridge calm the carbonation?
The biggest thing I'm worried about is hoping the sweetness goes away. Cause they smell mango/IPAlike but the taste is like strawberries with a pound of sugar.
Well,, you wanted to brew a Mango IPA so you got what you wanted apparently and honestly, the too sweet issue is separate from the over carbonation, maybe....

Putting them in the fridge will force the CO2 back into the beer instead of just sitting in the head space of the bottle so give that a try with a few of the bottles for a week or so.

You list the ABV but you provide no info on OG or Fg, process of introducing the mango or anything else. I am still not 100% sure you didn't bottle too soon and if that's the case you have a bigger issue than over carbonation, you have continued fermentation going on in your bottles and most likely they may ultimately blow up-ouch
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 3,950
Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailstock View Post
So I've bottled my Imperial Mango IPA, and being a drunk dummy I added way too much sugar to the priming solution for bottling.
Basically, they're over carbonated, volcano out with foam, and are disgustingly sweet.
Is there anything I can do with them, or is this batch just toast?

How much sugar did you use? What was the OG and FG? Are you sure the sweetness is not because of the recipe?

How long were they in the fridge before you opened one? Sometimes with highly carbed beers it can take a week or more in the fridge for the co2 to get absorbed by the beer. I often like to carb my Belgian Tripels pretty high and have to let them sit in the fridge for a week or two to get the carbonation into the beer or they want to gush.
__________________
beergolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 102
Default

I can't reply with the OG and FG at the moment cause I'm not home to check my notes.
It's going to make me sound stupid but I accidentally poured a pound of corn sugar into a cup of water. Realizing my mistake I didn't use the whole cup of water and just put a 'splash' into the beer.
The sweetness isn't from the recipe because I've brewed this before, but I keged and force carbonated it. This was the first time bottling it.
And I didn't put it the fridge before opening, but I'll put a couple in the fridge tonight and give it a couple weeks and see what happens to them.

So is it just a waiting game to see of the yeast can eat the sugar? (and hopefully not explode) or could I open all of them into a fermenter and let it re-ferment?

__________________
Ailstock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Ailstock
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

Well,, you wanted to brew a Mango IPA so you got what you wanted apparently and honestly, the too sweet issue is separate from the over carbonation, maybe....

Putting them in the fridge will force the CO2 back into the beer instead of just sitting in the head space of the bottle so give that a try with a few of the bottles for a week or so.

You list the ABV but you provide no info on OG or Fg, process of introducing the mango or anything else. I am still not 100% sure you didn't bottle too soon and if that's the case you have a bigger issue than over carbonation, you have continued fermentation going on in your bottles and most likely they may ultimately blow up-ouch
The mangos were introduced in secondary for a week.
__________________
Ailstock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glenview, IL
Posts: 5,997
Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailstock

The mangos were introduced in secondary for a week.
Thanks for the info, did you verify a stable gravity before bottling, if you did then the only issue is how your priming mistake plays Into thousand giving them some fridge time
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
duboman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: collingswood, nj
Posts: 3,950
Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailstock View Post
I can't reply with the OG and FG at the moment cause I'm not home to check my notes.
It's going to make me sound stupid but I accidentally poured a pound of corn sugar into a cup of water. Realizing my mistake I didn't use the whole cup of water and just put a 'splash' into the beer.
The sweetness isn't from the recipe because I've brewed this before, but I keged and force carbonated it. This was the first time bottling it.
And I didn't put it the fridge before opening, but I'll put a couple in the fridge tonight and give it a couple weeks and see what happens to them.

So is it just a waiting game to see of the yeast can eat the sugar? (and hopefully not explode) or could I open all of them into a fermenter and let it re-ferment?

If you only used about 1/3 of it you are fine. Opening bottle conditioned beer that has not been in the fridge for some time almost assures gushers. Put a couple of bottles in the fridge for several days or even a week and report back.
__________________
beergolf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools