Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much priming sugar, 5oz in 3.7 gallons...should I uncap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
7ender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too much priming sugar, 5oz in 3.7 gallons...should I uncap?

Hey guys,
Need some help here. I'm brewing a Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout, made for 5 gallons.

Without thinking and using the calculators for priming sugar amounts, I added the entire recommended packet (5oz) only to find out after bottling I had 14 22ox bottles and 13 12 oz bottles, which comes out to about 3.7 gallons of beer.

I am very worried about a.) overcabonation, and b.) more importantly, bottle bombs. I am heavily considering uncapping the bottles after 3-4 days then immediately recapping to release some pressure. I've seen alot of talk about doing this, but never any first hand experience. They're sitting in a room about 78 degrees.

What would you guys do in my situation, and has anyone uncapped with success?

Thanks. Oh, and my OG was 1.064 and FG about 1.02, but I don't really trust my readings that much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I have read your bottles should be safe at 3.5 to 4 volumes of CO. You are right at 3.4 so should not have any bombs. Your beer will be overcarbed for the style though.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 09-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
7ender
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice.

To reduce the carbonation, would anyone recommend or have a process for decapping/recapping? Or would it be too much of a guessing situation and not be worth it?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You should cycle one into the fridge every day and drink it the next day, once the carbonation is where you want it, get all the bottles in the fridge. You'll have to drink a few undercarbed bottles, but atleast you wont have to worry about a bottle exploding.

Quick Reply