Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much priming sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Pontiac_Guy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Too much priming sugar?

So on friday I bottled my batch of Caribou Slobber, but was only able to pull just over 4 gallons from the carboy. Stupid me added the priming sugar solution to the mixing bucket before I started pulling from the carboy. So I added 5oz of corn sugar to the 4 gallons I was able to bottle. I'm using 500ml swing top bottles. Does anyone have any experience with over-priming? I really don't want any explosions to happen here. I'm thinking about popping the tops off and letting them sit for a couple days.

Also, I remember seeing a chart of normal pressure limits for each type of bottle a while back. I think the german ones I'm using now can hold somewhere around 3.5-4 CO2. Not sure though. Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

It depends on how you are conditioning them. If they are at 70* or higher, they will start carbonating pretty quickly. If it was me, I might use one as a dummy part and open it periodically to determine when I am actually letting out pressure. Once that happens, I would open and close all of them. I would not leave them open for days.

That's just me.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
jethro55
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Have done this same thing several times. One was 5 oz in 3.5 gallons. Am using the swing top EZ caps for almost everything. No problems yet, but then again; they have been in the bottles for only a month or so.

The swing tops are supposed to "burp" to relieve excess carb. Hopefully I'll find this to be the case in practice.

At 4 gallons and 5 oz, the Beer Recipator shows about 3.2 volumes CO2. Not ridiculously high.

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Well, for the style of beer, you've over-carb'd. Caribou slobber is technically an English brown ale. On four gallons bottled at 70 degrees f, you should've been closer to 2.75 oz corn sugar to reach a carbonation volume of 2.1.

Definitely DO NOT remove the tops. Exposing your beer to oxygen at this point will make it oxidize, and it'll wind up tasting like old wet cardboard. What I would do is relocate them to an area where if they do pop open, it won't create much of a mess. Like, the inside of a cheap plastic storage tub.

Combine that with any left over malt the yeast didn't get to yet, and hmm... six to one and pick em. If they don't pop, they're going to be foamy like they have a gusher bug. This is no big deal as long as you can pour the beer into something to de-gas a little bit. Fine for drinking just not so good for beer competitions.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Pontiac_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses. I just opened a test bottle and there was a very loud "pop" sound from it. Loads of head too when I poured it.

I'm really just concerned if the bottles are going to blow up at any point.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac_Guy
Thanks for the quick responses. I just opened a test bottle and there was a very loud "pop" sound from it. Loads of head too when I poured it.

EZ Cap bottles are super heavy glass- I have no empirical data but if you sealed them with the swing tops I would say the closure will fail long before the bottle.
I've used EZ Cap since the beginning. I've never heard of any bottles failing - even in the bottle bomb threads.
Over carbonated? You betcha' ! Bombs -doubtful.
Only speaking for the swing tops though. If you crowned any bottles (EZ Caps included) you should get them in the fridge and drink them soon.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Pontiac_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Found this calculator , so I should be looking at a CO2 level of about 3.2

Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
two2many
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Does anybody know how to calculate the volumes of CO2 as a function of temperature by hand. I think it will be more intuitive for me if I can figure out the relationship. I hate getting near some over carbed bottles in the pantry and feel like I need a flak jacket to get my captain crunch.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac_Guy View Post

If you just bottled this on Friday, why are you opening, i.e. "Wasting" beer now? They're not going to be ready for a minimum of 3 weeks. Every one you open early is one less beer you're going to have when the beer's are actually drinkable.

You're not in danger of bottle bombs. Your beer is going to be slightly over carbed for it's style, but so what. If you look at carbing to style charts, you'll see that carbonation for each style is usually a range. Some folks, especially Americans who grew up drinking highly carbed "fizzy yellow beer" are actually conditioned in many ways to prefer the high end of the carb range. The 4.5-5 ounces of sugar is meant to produced 2-2.5 volumes of c02 in a 5 gallon batch of beer. What you added is tantamount to ONLY a quarter ounce extra of sugar/gallon of beer, so where you would have normally had 2.5 volumes with the whole 5 ounces, you probably have around 2.8 or so....nothing to worry about. Your bottles aren't going to explode (they're rated much higher than that, more like 3.5 volumes.)

Right now opening them you might have popping and or gushing not because there's a problem, but because the co2 is in the headspace, not in SOLUTION yet. So it's not really a judgement of if your beer is over carbed or not.

Just walk away from them for a couple more weeks. The yeast don't need you to hover over the bottles. Just let them do their job. You've done what every new brewer has done at one time or another, had more trub loss or racking loss that you accounted for in priming sugar...so what? It's not the end of the world, and it's not like you added an extra OUNCE PER GALLON of beer or something, when you think about it in terms of ounces per gallon, it really isn't a heck of a lot of extra sugar....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Pontiac_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Revvy, I am quickly learning that you are the man.

Quick Reply