Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much hop!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #11
Mystikty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the encouragement. I will let you know how it goes in about 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Mystikty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am now in Day 6 of my fermentation. The specific gravity post-boil/pre-pitch was 1.099. It is now 1.011. I plan to re-rack tomorrow. I took a little taste and it was pretty decent. There is still some fermentation left to go but I wanted to find out how bitter it was. It wasn't bad at all. I look forward to the finished product.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
Jay1
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When the yeast floculates, its gonna taste even better. Ive had some mistakes turn out better than I had originally planned and an extra 1/2 oz of cascade isn't gonna make enough of a difference to ruin it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
HopZombie99
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 65

That is a HUGE beer. The extra 1/2 oz prolly was a good thing.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikty View Post
I just used a calculator to estimate the IBU of my brew using all the hops I added to the boil (chinook and willamette) and it turned out to be around 45. How bitter is that? Had I followed the recipe, it would have been around 23.
How bitter is that? Given that describing bitterness is pretty subjective, I think an objective form of measurement is probably the best way to answer that question. So, I'd say 45 IBUs is about twice as bitter as 23 IBUs.

Sorry, had to be a smart-ass.

Quote:
I am now in Day 6 of my fermentation. The specific gravity post-boil/pre-pitch was 1.099. It is now 1.011. I plan to re-rack tomorrow. I took a little taste and it was pretty decent. There is still some fermentation left to go but I wanted to find out how bitter it was. It wasn't bad at all. I look forward to the finished product.
I've got a couple assumptions I'm going to try on for size (you could post a recipe if you want to confirm or deny any of these). First, I assume you are pretty new to brewing if you are asking how this would effect your beer. Secondly, I assume that also means that you did a partial boil and brought it up to the full volume by adding water to the fermenter. Thirdly, I assume you did not thoroughly mix the wort and the top-off water.

If the predicted OG from the recipe was way lower than the 1.099 you measured, then you probably got an inaccurate reading from insufficiently mixed wort. In that case, if it is actually an average strength beer, the extra half ounce of hops will probably have a noticeable effect. It will still be beer. And it still has a fair chance of tasting good, too. But there will be more bitterness.

If you actually did brew a batch with a 1.099 OG, then (like HopZombie said) it is probably a good thing to add the extra hops to balance out the residual sweetness of the malt that the yeast can't finish off.
Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans

Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #16
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 941 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

too much hop?

ain't no such critter

45 IBU to a 1.099 gravity is balanced

what did the recipe say for OG?

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Mystikty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost

How bitter is that? Given that describing bitterness is pretty subjective, I think an objective form of measurement is probably the best way to answer that question. So, I'd say 45 IBUs is about twice as bitter as 23 IBUs.

Sorry, had to be a smart-ass.

I've got a couple assumptions I'm going to try on for size (you could post a recipe if you want to confirm or deny any of these). First, I assume you are pretty new to brewing if you are asking how this would effect your beer. Secondly, I assume that also means that you did a partial boil and brought it up to the full volume by adding water to the fermenter. Thirdly, I assume you did not thoroughly mix the wort and the top-off water.

If the predicted OG from the recipe was way lower than the 1.099 you measured, then you probably got an inaccurate reading from insufficiently mixed wort. In that case, if it is actually an average strength beer, the extra half ounce of hops will probably have a noticeable effect. It will still be beer. And it still has a fair chance of tasting good, too. But there will be more bitterness.

If you actually did brew a batch with a 1.099 OG, then (like HopZombie said) it is probably a good thing to add the extra hops to balance out the residual sweetness of the malt that the yeast can't finish off.
Hee hee. Yes, I am very new at brewing as this is only my second batch. I don't know what IBU 23 tastes like verses 45. All I know is that it will be bitter than the original recipe has intended. Yes, I did do a partial boil because I don't have a large enough pot to boil 5 gal. When I added the wort (3gal) to the fermentor, I made a concerted effort to swirl the bottle but it was pretty heavy and full. Your last assumption is likely correct. The expected OG was 1.052. I even tried swirling it again after I pitched the yeast. I suppose I should have taken another SG reading. The expected FG is 1.013 but now I'm reading 1.011 as of yesterday. I'm planning to re-rack but I'm wondering if it is really necessary to do so being that i'm not planning to make additions.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 941 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

45 IBU to 1.052 isn't too bad.

Sierra Nevada PA is 37 to 1.053, so I think you're good

no need to secondary, unless you're adding fruit or oak.

3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottle; enjoy

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #19
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 454

Quote:
Hee hee. Yes, I am very new at brewing as this is only my second batch. I don't know what IBU 23 tastes like verses 45. All I know is that it will be bitter than the original recipe has intended. Yes, I did do a partial boil because I don't have a large enough pot to boil 5 gal. When I added the wort (3gal) to the fermentor, I made a concerted effort to swirl the bottle but it was pretty heavy and full. Your last assumption is likely correct. The expected OG was 1.052. I even tried swirling it again after I pitched the yeast. I suppose I should have taken another SG reading. The expected FG is 1.013 but now I'm reading 1.011 as of yesterday. I'm planning to re-rack but I'm wondering if it is really necessary to do so being that i'm not planning to make additions.
Being lower than the expected FG is not an issue at all. A lot of my recipes and the kits I've brewed have ended up slightly lower than predicted. Just make sure to measure it again and check that it is the same for a couple readings in a row before bottling.

Back to the OG question. If this is an extract batch and you used the correct amount of extract, then you can bet you nailed the OG. No question about it.

Also, no need to worry about the partial boil thing. I have been brewing for about a year and have done extract, partial-mash and all-grain batches. And all of my batches were partial boils, except for a SMaSH I brewed a couple weeks ago. I'm working with a 5 gallon kettle as well. You just have to be aware that there is a good chance your OG reading will be wrong if you try to rush it. Give is a good shake for as long as your arms can stand it, then go clean up some gear and let it rest. Come back and shake it some more. Do that a couple times, then your OG reading should come out a little more accurate.
Bottled - Northern Brewer's Oud Bruin de Table; The Land of Pils and Honey, imperial Saison with Clover Honey; a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans
Houseoffubar Likes This 
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #20
Mystikty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd
45 IBU to 1.052 isn't too bad.

Sierra Nevada PA is 37 to 1.053, so I think you're good

no need to secondary, unless you're adding fruit or oak.

3 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottle; enjoy
I don't know about the three weeks in primary. I just took another reading, and it was still 1.011. Today marks day 7 of my fermentation and it seems that it is time to bottle. The recipe says that the typical fermentation time is 7-10 days. I'll give it another day or two before taking another reading.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS