The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too Much Head Room in the Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Nate1977
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too Much Head Room in the Secondary?

Racking from the primary to the secondary today, I was left with a substantial amount of headspace in the secondary carboy. I must have lost a lot to evaporation when boiling the wort. Is this a problem? I've read that you want as little space as possible in the secondary. Is there anything I can do? What is this going to do to my beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. After you rack, it should give off a little CO2, which will blanket the top of the beer. RDWHAHB

Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

It'll be fine. If ya don't beleive me, pop the air lock off after 24 hours and take a good whiff. You'll gasp (literally) at the level of CO2 in that head space.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
Nate1977
Recipes 

Thanks all! Adding water didn't sound right. I do not want to dilute the wonderful nectar inside.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
WormBoy
Chief Bottle Washer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Biermuncher-
Do you think this is the case all of the time? A friend of mine gave me two glass 7.5 gal carboys, and I seem to always have about half the damn things empty most of the times that I use them as secondaries. I was beginning to wonder if this is a problem.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
monkeydan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sup,

Just thought I'd bizzump this 4-year-old thread rather than start a new one (it shows that I have done a search, which makes people like me more).

I have a Kolsch which has been in primary just over 2 weeks. I was going to transfer to secondary for lagering next weekend (assuming FG has been reached, I haven't checked yet but was planning on taking a sample on Wednesady), however I only have 25 litre buckets. There's currently about 4 inches of head space at the top of the one I'm currently fermenting in, obviously if I transfer to secondary this will be slightly more as I will be getting rid of the trub.

Basically, will this be ok? If it has reached FG will there still be a little blankie of CO2 protecting mah beer? Or do I need to get a more suitable container to use as a secondary?

Also, while I am here, I will probably be bottling these beers. Will there still be sufficient yeast in suspension to carbonate them after 3 weeks in primary and 4 weeks lagering? If not, any recommendations on how to introduce yeast at bottling time to ensure carbonation? Just add a pinch of US-05 or something?

Cheers :-)

Düschbehg Brewery... since 2011

Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
davefleck
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Chances are with the transfer the stirring up will create a little more fermentation. Or if you can't chill, pitch a little sugar and kickstart a little action

Quick Reply