New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too malty of a stout, can I fix it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
girdwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Too malty of a stout, can I fix it?

About 2wks ago, I kegged a stout that I brewed. It was originally a Murphy's clone recipe from BYO, but I mixed up the buckets of LME with another recipe I was doing and wound up putting in 7-lbs instead of 4. Upon having a few, it is incredibly too malty.

What could I possibly do after it has been carbonated to help balance the maltiness?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Natdavis777
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You could brew a dry stout and blend. Case in point, a buddy of mine who was a local head brewer at the time did a specialty beer that came out too dry, so he made a maltier beer and blended the two to his likings and ended up with a GABF medal out of it. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

The answer is yes, you can fix this batch.
The keg is that you kegged it. You can play with it. Brew a hoppy mini-batch and mix them. It's a stout so you can make lots of errors and the big roasty taste will hide them.
By the time you've shared the story about how things went wrong with the batch, your freeloading friends will be so wasted on the stout that they won't understand what the h3LL you're taking about.

"Good beer, pretty girl, they are gifts of Czech country"
- Czech proverb

Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
girdwood
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the input. I had a NB Spring Blonde and just mixed that 50/50 with my stout and it turned out pretty good. What would you recommend for making a mini-batch? How mini are we talking and would it have to ferment or could I do like a steeping or boil process, chill it, and add it directly to the keg? I'm new to this experimental and fixing things part. I don't really want to do a whole other 5g and then have it not be that great and even worse together; I'm brewing an Imperial Pilsner tomorrow, and I'm thinking that would be good to mix with it... maybe just bottle all of the stout and mix it in with the Pilsner from time to time? (I don't know if that'd be a good mix, thoughts?)

Quick Reply