Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too Low of Specific Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Too Low of Specific Gravity

So, I'm pretty new to brewing, just put my third batch into secondary. I'm using extract kits so far I've done a California Common, Belgian Ale,and currently working on a Oberon clone from my local store. I did some experimenting and I added about a 1cup of brown sugar to the wort, just to test on alcohol% and effects on the body of the beer. It spent two weeks in primary and everything looked good, lasted almost a week (I suspect because of the added sugar). Well I just went to put it into secondary and my readings don't look good right. At 70 degrees the specific gravity reading is 1.020 with an alc% around 3 and balling around 5. I've checked it twice with about the same results. What might have caused this, and is ther anything that can be done to repair it. So far it tastes OK.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What was the starting gravity reading? and what was the recipes's expected OG?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well without knowing the FG of the recipe we can't help, or the ingredients...to me 1.020 seems fine...I mean that is the absolute top end of my bottling range...

Oh, and the estimated Alcohol scale on a hydro, doesn't work for beer....It's used for either wine or distilling (I forget which) but not for beer....on triple scale hydro's we only really use the specific gravity side...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-25-2008, 02:35 AM   #4
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, the recipe from the brew store doesn't state the estimated FG, and I had a critical error while I was cooling the wort and didn't get a starting gravity, so I guess I'm flying blind here. I read on the posts that adding sugar can thin out the body of the brew, would that be reflected by the gravity or is that strictly a taste/mouthfeel issue?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you give us the recipe, we can estimate the OG from the ingredients. At least list the extracts/grains and the yeast type.

Cheers,

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, unfortunately being a beginning brewer has taught me a valuable lesson, Write Down Everything!!!. The recipe I got from the brew shop didn't list the amount of the ingredients, it just said when to add what, and I not really thinking about it threw out the boxes without writing down what they had given me. Well, at least now I know for next time. Always write down the ingredients and always get an OG. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
SgtHulka
Recipes 

So how did the beer turn out? I know it was a long time ago, but when I see these messages abruptly end, I still wonder if the person got a decent batch.

Quick Reply