Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > too long a fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
backwards
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default too long a fermentation?

i've had an california steam in the primary now for 11 days and she is still bubbling about 4x a minute. could this be a problem. temps are hovering in the low 60's. ready to place in a secondary, but want to insure fermentation is complete. what think ye?

"when you ride backwards you never miss a thing - unless it's on the other side of the truck."

primary: empty - for now
secondary: russian imperial stout, dunkel
bottled: american ipa, california steam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Steam beer uses lager yeast, correct? If so, I would expect it to be a long, slow fermentation. Especially if it is sitting in the low 60's. Check your SG over the course of a couple of days, if it is still falling then I would wait until the SG stabilizes before racking to the secondary. I've never made a steam beer before and would like to. Hopefully, someone with some experience with steam beers will chime in.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Lagers take longer, that's why we make ale! It's fine.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply