*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too late to prime?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
triskelion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Too late to prime?

I've heard that if you allow your beer too much time in the fermenter before bottling then the yeast will eventually die off. Is this true? and does it mean that I wouldn't be able to carbonate by priming it? I made an all grain last year that came out completely flat and it spent about a month all together in the primary and secondary, although it was crystal clear. I've took a step back and decided to make a coopers kit and don't want to end up with flat beer again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by triskelion View Post
I've heard that if you allow your beer too much time in the fermenter before bottling then the yeast will eventually die off. Is this true? and does it mean that I wouldn't be able to carbonate by priming it? I made an all grain last year that came out completely flat and it spent about a month all together in the primary and secondary, although it was crystal clear. I've took a step back and decided to make a coopers kit and don't want to end up with flat beer again.
It takes a VERY long time for this to happen. Unless you have a massively high ABV, most beers will carb up just fine, even after months in primary/secondary.

A month is an eyeblink. I always do 3-4 weeks in primary, followed by at least 1-2 weeks in primary. I had an imperial nut brown ale (8.66% ABV) that did ~4 weeks in primary, followed by ~4 months in secondary... no carb issues whatsoever. Saw another guy that had an oaked whisky stout at ~8 months in secondary, no carb problems.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1489 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 625

I've never had a problem with carbonation after extended fermenter times (up to 6 months in secondary), but some folks like to repitch yeast when bottling if they're aging for an extremely long time. A month is not a long time. Most of my beers get a month or more in primary with zero problems. The only way I could think of a beer not carbonating after only a month in primary is a) you forgot the priming sugar b) you exceeded the alcohol tolerance of the yeast or c) you kept it stored too cold to carbonate. How long was that first beer allowed to carbonate and at what temperature?

Now, if you're lagering very cold and for a long time I could see it being more of a problem with all the yeast floccing out.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA, Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 01-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
dozer5454
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 13

With all grain there are so many factors that can produce "off beers" that, without the recipe and your process, it would be imposable to know what caused the issue. Extract or partial mash doesn't carry as many issues. I have never used the coopers before but I have in the past used just extract. I have had batches in the secondary go for a month as I just couldn't get to them. You should have no issues with the one your making. Keep the ferment temps in check though. And make sure you use enough sugar to carb those bottles up. After that its just 3 weeks at 70 degrees.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #5
triskelion
Recipes 

thanks guys, I feel much better about leaving it alone now. I did lager my all grain, that could be what did it.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
triskelion
Recipes 

Default Soapy taste

Guys, its been in the primary for 2 weeks now, I've checked it with the hydrometer again, hasn't changed at all in the last week. I wasted it and it has a slight soapy taste, I hear this could be caused by being in the primary too long. Any experience of this? its not a pleasant taste to me

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Give it another 2 weeks in primary. Trust us. It will be fine.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You're right about soapy taste if indeed you are tasting soapy flavor. Get a second opinion from a friend about the taste. But my guess is that you are tasting something else like acetyl or fusel alcohols. If that is the case then longer in the primary will help and a lot of these off flavors deminish with time once in the bottles lagering.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
triskelion
Recipes 

Bit of an update. I bottled after 2 weeks in the fermenter and have just cracked one open and shared a pint between myself and the hydrometer (1.017) after 1 week in the bottles. (I was too excited by the prospect of beer to wait any longer). Its very sweet and not very strong, even a noob like me knows what that means. lol
its not bad though, it's drinkable as it is. no weird off flavours at all. I'll let the rest of the bottles bubble away for another few weeks.

next time I'll likely put in more fermentables, maybe even double it, I like a bit of body. It will need some hops, not sure if coopers pre hop their lme or not. and I think i'll try wyeast 3068, it's suppose to be one of the best for hefeweizen.

btw, I've had a bag of dried hallertau for about 6 months, think it would be ok? not sure if I should have kept it in the fridge or not

Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm also very new to brewing, but I didn't think that you could take a hyrdometer reading after carbing. Won't the carbonation cause the hydrometer to float higher than normal, resulting in a higher reading? Or is the difference negligible?

John

Quick Reply