Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > too late to dry hop?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
pinkfloyd4ever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default too late to dry hop?

Ok so I brewed on Jan 1 and racked to secondary on the 9th. I'm making Palmer's Cincinnati Pale Ale. I have about 1/3 oz of Cascade pellets left over that I meant to dry hop with when I racked to secondary, but somehow I totally forgot about it until tonight.

Will I be wasting them if I dry hop with them at this point?

I'm also concerned about infecting it when I do this. I know the hops themselves aren't a concern, but how do you sanitize cheese cloth? (I was gonna use that since I already have some)

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Save them for another batch. Montanaandy

Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't think it matters how long after primary fermentation that you add the hops just so as long as it's after primary. Do you need the bag? I've never brewed with bags so out of touch with the applications they're used for these days.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I toss pellets in loosely. It takes about 7-10 days for the pellets to finally drop to the bottom. If you must use cheese cloth you could dry hop for 4-5 days and sanitize the cheese cloth in boiling water for a bit.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

It's never too late to dry hop, although it's tough once you've bottled. You can sanitize the bag/cheesecloth by dipping it in any no-rinse sanitizer. I've never bothered.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah, just toss those pellets in there. It'll take a week for them to settle out. You'll be fine.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I put the pellets in there. I had been storing them in the freezer, and I just dumped em in frozen. I don't think that will hurt anything, will it?

It started bubbling a lot faster than it had been. Is that normal?

BEGINNERS: Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting. SERIOUSLY!! This means you!!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #8
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

holy crap. there's pretty much a second krausen now...I guess there were a lot more unfermented sugars left in there than I thought. Good thing I left as much headspace as I did, cause my secondary fermenter is a 5 gal carboy

Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, so I've been waiting for my beer to stop bubbling before bottling. I found out that the surge in bubbles after adding the hops to the secondary was due to their rough surface which allows dissolved CO2 to precipitate out of solution.

Problem is, it's still bubbling, a lot more than it was for the few days before I added the hops (which was 2 weeks ago). I just checked the gravity and it's 1.014, the same as it was when I racked to secondary over 3 weeks ago. What's the deal? I've always read not to bottle until you get the constant gravity readings over several days (which I obviously have), but I don't want bottle bombs

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 AM   #10
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
ok, so I've been waiting for my beer to stop bubbling before bottling. I found out that the surge in bubbles after adding the hops to the secondary was due to their rough surface which allows dissolved CO2 to precipitate out of solution.

Problem is, it's still bubbling, a lot more than it was for the few days before I added the hops (which was 2 weeks ago). I just checked the gravity and it's 1.014, the same as it was when I racked to secondary over 3 weeks ago. What's the deal? I've always read not to bottle until you get the constant gravity readings over several days (which I obviously have), but I don't want bottle bombs
anyone? Will I be ok bottling now or should I wait till it stops bubbling?

Quick Reply