Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is it too late?....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
jjl4536
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is it too late?....

So i made a kit of wheat beer. Followed the recipe and put it in the fermentor. Its now bottling day and I noticed i have a little over 4 gallons. I simply didn't add enough on brew day !
Observations, The beer smells and tastes ok. Its darker than it should be. The FG was spot on. Is it too late to add 1 gallon of water to increase the yield, or should I bottle what I have and chalk it up to experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

I personally think you should leave it as is and bottle up a stronger brew. Then get started on another ASAP!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 07-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I am assuming this was an extract kit? If that's the case it's interesting that you hit the intended FG w/ roughly 20% less post-boil volume than intended. I would double check the numbers just to be safe, but as stated above you are good to go ahead and bottle if it's been 2 or 3 weeks. I would not add any add'l water.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
jjl4536
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksBrewer View Post
I am assuming this was an extract kit? If that's the case it's interesting that you hit the intended FG w/ roughly 20% less post-boil volume than intended. I would double check the numbers just to be safe, but as stated above you are good to go ahead and bottle if it's been 2 or 3 weeks. I would not add any add'l water.
Yes, its a cherry wheat from Midwest. I checked the numbers for two days straight after the first week and if i read it right is was 1.010. I am very new to this (my second kit) so now you have me second guessing my techniques. Since I am cleaning bottles and setting up for bottling I will re check my numbers. Should my numbers be off because of the variant in water volume? and how would you adjust to compensate? Or am i over reacting and should I just bottle the damn beer!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
dkennedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Typically, would expect higher OG and FG than intended, because your volume is lower (think of it like a percentage- 2 bad apples in a box of 10 is 20%, but 2 in a box of 5 is 40%).
But yes, I'd just bottle it, and see how it drinks in a few weeks. Still worth reviewing your process- did you boil longer than the recipe called for, could your starting (pre-boil) volume have been low, was the delta volume lost to trub or material in the BK, did you casually drink a gallon of it while watching it boil...you get the idea

Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
jjl4536
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. hope it turns out ok.

Quick Reply