Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too Impatient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 AM   #31
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I do...

Big ABV, big malt beers need a lot of time to mature and mellow out. You try to drink a three week old barleywine and it'll taste like sugary gasoline with a touch of a$$ in it. Off the top of my head the only real "big beer" (10%+ abv) that is drinkable early is maybe a monster IPA. Other than that, the yeast just did an a$$ton of work and need time to clean up their mess. In addition, beers like that need thetime for the alcohol to mellow out and blend in with the malt background.

Aging beers is done for very real reasons. Beer will change dramtically over time in a bottle and that change is usually what makes a style a style.... And barleywines are a perfect example.

Hell... I just bought a case of Bigfoot an I'm not planning on opening a single one for a couple of years. I have two older Bigfoots... One from 2000 and one from 2001. I hve Celebration Ales from '99 and '00. I have Stateline barleywines from '05.

Thats when they start getting good.

Oh, and sorry.... From personal experience, our club does a "big beer" group brew every year and ages it in an oak barrel. We dont bottle it until it is at least a year old. I have an '07 barleywine we made, an '08 braggot, an '09 quad and the RIS is still in the barrel. And they all get better with each passing year

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #32
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
I do...

Big ABV, big malt beers need a lot of time to mature and mellow out. You try to drink a three week old barleywine and it'll taste like sugary gasoline with a touch of a$$ in it. Off the top of my head the only real "big beer" (10%+ abv) that is drinkable early is maybe a monster IPA. Other than that, the yeast just did an a$$ton of work and need time to clean up their mess. In addition, beers like that need thetime for the alcohol to mellow out and blend in with the malt background.

Aging beers is done for very real reasons. Beer will change dramtically over time in a bottle and that change is usually what makes a style a style.... And barleywines are a perfect example.

Hell... I just bought a case of Bigfoot an I'm not planning on opening a single one for a couple of years. I have two older Bigfoots... One from 2000 and one from 2001. I hve Celebration Ales from '99 and '00. I have Stateline barleywines from '05.

Thats when they start getting good.

Oh, and sorry.... From personal experience, our club does a "big beer" group brew every year and ages it in an oak barrel. We dont bottle it until it is at least a year old. I have an '07 barleywine we made, an '08 braggot, an '09 quad and the RIS is still in the barrel. And they all get better with each passing year
Thanks for the response. What temperature do you age your barleywines at?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #33
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 424 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I think "cellar temps" are fine. My basement, even in the hottest months, doesn't get up over 70 degrees. Over the course of a year the basement will slowly shift from the mid 50's to maybe the mid 60's depending on the month, and I think those temps are fine.

I don't think colder would hurt them at all but I wouldn't want them spending any time at 70 or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply