Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too Impatient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

First beer, I brewed a pale ale, cut a couple days off of the suggested 14 day primary (left it a total of 10-11 days, this was my only kit beer to date), put it directly to bottles with priming sugar, 5 days later I popped one open and tried it, tried another a couple days later, then I waited a week and tried again, then again...

I am the definition of impatient.

That first beer I opened was plain flat and bitter but from my impatience I learned beer patience, what a "green" beer tastes like and how over time the taste improves along with body. I had one Wednesday night, it was delicious! That would be a little over 1 month total since its brew date. I'm giving the rest of the batch until Mardigras weekend then she's going down between me and the misses!! If you're insistent to bottle today and can't hold out any longer, and with that type of beer, go for it; it won't kill you or your beer. Drink 1 next week and learn that taste, the smell and tell tale signs of a green beer that needs time. Have another 5-7 days later, then do it again. Over time it will improve and it will be very noticeable to you.

Something I've found that helps with impatience, I'm calling it my "fix" haha, brew a frequent Hefeweizen. An all extract batch, or with a specialty grain added, is very cheap / easy to do, simple to manipulate and alter and get a little wild with, and the best part is that beer usually is at its best young. My Clementine Hefe was brewed on February 5th and last night at dinner with friends, a unanimous decision was made that it tasted fantastic, actually may have recruited a couple buddies into the hobby as well, wasn't even trying to (I would like to issue a formal apology to their wives and girlfriends now; I'm sure I'll be catching hell for it soon)

+1 with mlyday as well - a mixer sixer or 2 always helps..

Best of luck!

Reason: learn to spell Jsmith!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
cleinen
Recipes 

I brewed a Hefe last Saturday. Maybe I will keg it Sunday and leave the others sit and that will tide me over.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers7x View Post
American Amber Ale. OG was 1.048.
IMO, American ales can be produced in a very small amount time. I just recently submitted a pale ale to a competition. The competition was only 14 days after the yeast was pitched. It was in primary for only 10 days and then in the bottle for only 4 days!!! I beat the other 5 american ales that were submitted. It wasn't an amazing score (only 34), but the only thing the judges said they didn't like was that it didn't have enough of a malt backbone (it didn't)! I gave samples to some of the other judges outside of the competition and they said the same thing. ("Great beer... just needs some more specialty malt to be a pale ale.")

I just made the same recipe again with a bit extra caramel malt, and I am going to bottle it tonight... after only 9 days in primary, and you can bet your @$$ that I am going to drink at least one on Monday (if not before then).

Yes, there are definitely times when you want to condition beers... but if you don't want to wait, then don't. There is plenty of time left in our lives to make and condition beers, but I'm planning on building up a huge pipeline before I get to that point.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 AM   #14
mikebowman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82
If you're insistent to bottle today and can't hold out any longer, and with that type of beer, go for it; it won't kill you or your beer.
not entirely true. If fermentation hasn't finished when you bottle it, you can get bottle bombs, which are both messy and dangerous, not to mention a waste of beer! Bottle earlier than recommended by all means, but make sure fermentation is finished first!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebowman

not entirely true. If fermentation hasn't finished when you bottle it, you can get bottle bombs, which are both messy and dangerous, not to mention a waste of beer! Bottle earlier than recommended by all means, but make sure fermentation is finished first!
Absolutely correct, his fg was steady and he had racked to a secondary which is why I suggested it but yeah, bottle bombs? No good. Wasting beer? Punishable in some states.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #16
LVBen
Recipes 

This beer was brewed 13 days ago. The yeast was pitched 12 days ago. I bottled it on Friday!

It turned out great!!! It will be even better in a few more days, but it is still very drinkable!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #17
LVBen
Recipes 

I want more... I'm fighting the urge, but the urge seems to be winning.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVBen View Post

This beer was brewed 13 days ago. The yeast was pitched 12 days ago. I bottled it on Friday!

It turned out great!!! It will be even better in a few more days, but it is still very drinkable!
You are deluding yourself. Your beer isn't great. It might be better than any you had previously but save some for a month or even two and then sample.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
kgraber
Recipes 

I'm only on my 4th day of bottle conditioning on my Raspberry Wheat and I already want to open one. I won't since I know I'll be disappointed but it is damn tempting.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
LostBavarianMan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We all have the same problem it seems. I just last night finished the last bottle of my first batch which was a Big Bitchy Blonde Ale. The problem Im having now is that I am bottling the Canadian Ale Aye this Sunday which puts me a minimum of 3 weeks after that before I can have another home brew. But I know a beer store that is between my job and my home that has a really nice selection of Micro and craft brews to chose from.
Now here is a question.
Anybody know where I can get some patients?

Quick Reply