HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > In too deep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
bboyeruga
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default In too deep

Well I'm officially addicted. I've had 3 successful brews (all Belgians) and I haven't even tasted them, but I can honestly say this is the most addicted I've ever been to a hobby.

So far I'd say I've put $700 into brewing and I don't even blink when flashing the credit card. I usually have horrible buyer's remorse, but I haven't even come close to that with brewing. I just bought a 7cf freezer on Craigslist and just set it up with a Johnson temp controller. Moving the beers there tonight.

I don't know what it is, but it's just everything I've ever wanted in a hobby. I know most on this site can agree and I'm glad to be part of this great past time. Thanks to all who've helped me along the way. Here's to the next 30+ years of brewing!

Primary 1: :(
Primary 2: :(

On Deck (in order): Agave Hefeweizen, Tripel Hoption, Orange Blossom Mead

Bottled: Peanut Butter Cup Stout, Performance Enhancing Dunkelweiss (PED), Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Belgian Golden Ale, The Bastard of Wintergreen Pale Ale, Cascade Orange Pale Ale, Butterbier, Dr. Jekyll Honey Ginger Wit, Mr. Hyde Honey Ginger Double Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
chocotaco
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am jealous of your lack of buyer's remorse. Please enjoy yourself on my behalf

Old 07-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Welcome to brewers anonymous, thanks for sharing. Together, we will help you through all your beer problems...usually with a tasty belgian near our keyboards.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

SteveHeff Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
beergolf

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I know what you mean.

I brewed four beers before I even tasted my first.

Brew on.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
bboyeruga

Recipes 

Anyone else feel like this when they see the first bubble in the blow off tube/airlock?

Bottled: Peanut Butter Cup Stout, Performance Enhancing Dunkelweiss (PED), Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Belgian Golden Ale, The Bastard of Wintergreen Pale Ale, Cascade Orange Pale Ale, Butterbier, Dr. Jekyll Honey Ginger Wit, Mr. Hyde Honey Ginger Double Wit

People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
bboyeruga

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocotaco View Post
I am jealous of your lack of buyer's remorse. Please enjoy yourself on my behalf
One of the perks of being with someone who spends $700+ per month on her horse and equestrian competitions. She can't even begin to debate me.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
krackin
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wait until you start your own recipes.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #8
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 28

haha... I don't have buyers remorse either, but I do have fear of SWMBO when she sees the bills, haha. Thank god she likes good beer and wants to support me with my hobby... eventually though, I know she'll come back with "remember when you got this, that and the other thing?" :P.

Seriously though, I know what you mean. I'm new to all this as well, and I love it. I wish I had more time to brew... though then I'd probably have way more beer than I'd know what to do with.

--
Drinking: Oatmeal Stout, Amber Ale
Bottle conditioning: Nothing :(
Fermenting: Not so Amber Ale
Up next: TBA

Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Tom128
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Same here. I have brewed the following, in order: 1 gallon dandelion wine, 1 gallon grape concentrate wine, 5 gallon EdWorts Apfelwine, 5 gallons of a beer recipe I sort of made up, and 1 gallon Joe's Ancient Orange Mead.

Crazy part - I have yet to drink any of these. They are all still brewing, very slowly most of them now. It just that the combination of booze I know I will get to drink, the cost for the amount of booze, the science, and the "I did this!" factor has me hooked already, sitting here looking for another recipe to start.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
bboyeruga

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackin View Post
Just wait until you start your own recipes.
I'm already thinking about it with my next brew. I'm eager to do a lager now that I have the ferm chamber, so in 3 weeks when I pull the belgians out, I'm going to do two lagers. Probably 1 oktoberfest (close to Sam Adams Oktoberfest), and a standard Oktoberfest.

I need to read Radical Brewing and get the spirit for it, but if my cooking is any indication, I'll be a natural. I always cook with a sense of adventure and throw whatever I've got into it knowing it will all be okay and come out great. Can't wait to spread that mentality to my brewing!

Quick Reply