The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too cold to carbonate; can I wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
Tarka
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Too cold to carbonate; can I wait?

Hi,

It's been relatively cool here in Sydney, not getting above 16c/60F for a couple of months. I made a batch of APA anyway and fermented it with a heater belt which worked out fine. However it's been in bottles now for 3 weeks and the one I've tried hasn't carbonated; this is using Safale-05 so presumably this is due to the temperature.

Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to warm up the bottles (Sydney houses rarely have central heating as it's only cold for a few months of the year). If I wait a month or so until it warms up again will carbonation and conditioning kick off (possibly aided by a quick shake) or am I stuck with 50 bottles of flat, slightly sweet beer?

Cheers,
Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Get a cardboard box, put the beer in it and use the heater belt to warm the box.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I wonder if anything can be done with an electric blanket too?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-09-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
I wonder if anything can be done with an electric blanket too?
Yes you could but the risk of burning down your house by using the product improperly doesn't sound like a cost effective method to carbonate.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Do you have any insulated or thinsulate blankets? Even wrapping the box the beers are in can make them toasty...Some people have put a sealed box of bottles in a larger box with a string of Christmas lights inside. The sealed box (a rubbermade plastic tub) will keep the light out, while the the lights raise the ambient temp.

Cool temps will just mean it will take longer for them to carbonate and condition.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
Yes you could but the risk of burning down your house by using the product improperly doesn't sound like a cost effective method to carbonate.
You sir, need to adjust your priorities! We are talking homebrew versus the slight inconvenience of the house burning down. Homebrew wins every time!!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBrit View Post
You sir, need to adjust your priorities! We are talking homebrew versus the slight inconvenience of the house burning down. Homebrew wins every time!!
I heartily concur with my esteemed collegue from ohio!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I heartily concur with my esteemed collegue from ohio!
Oh yeah, then why did he call me sir?

Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #9
Tarka
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I'm not really prepared to warm up a box with any electrical device; I've already had one heater-pad that overheated and melted its plastic casing. I realise risking life and limb in the pursuit of beer is no vice but the normally tolerant SWMBO has her limits. I think I'll wait this one out and see how the beer develops in a month or two.

Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply