Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too big of a blow off bucket/jar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Yourrealdad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Default Too big of a blow off bucket/jar

So I searched this and couldn't find it anywhere so I apologize if this has been answered before.
I just decided to use the five gallon bucket with 3.5 gallons of starsan as my blowoff jar, but it seems that it will not allow bubbles. Maybe the pressure is too much?
I pulled it up and taped it so bubble are coming out, but wondering if I messed anything up or if it is really even a problem?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
adworld
Recipes 

I cant see that being an issue as the psi in a 5gal bucket shouldn't be too great to prohibit the bubbles from leaving the tube.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

The blow off tube is only to allow for the release of extra krausen. If the pressure of having the tube in 3.5 gallons of Starsan was too much for the container it would blow out the stopper or blow off the bucket lid. If not the tube would bubble eventually.

There is nothing wrong here except if you did have blowoff you are wasting 3.5 gallons of Starsan solution. You only need about 1-2 inches in a small jar. Put the jar in the bucket in case it overflows and you are all set.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Yourrealdad
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Sorry I was just using the leftover starsan from sanitizing everything from the brew, so as not to waste it. Good to know nothing was wrong, but at least now I get to hear the bubbling sound of my robust porter

Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 45

For my blow off I just use a mason jar with maybe 3 inches of sanitizer and a clip to make sure the tube end stays under. I can't think why you'd need a whole bucket.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Nukinfuts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use a 1 gallon water jug. I zip tie the tube to the handle to make sure it doesn't come out.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourrealdad View Post
Sorry I was just using the leftover starsan from sanitizing everything from the brew, so as not to waste it. Good to know nothing was wrong, but at least now I get to hear the bubbling sound of my robust porter
No need to apologize. I use a pail and fill it half full with left over StarSan just as you did. I do this because I often run two hoses from different carboys in together--I may soon be running three at a time--and I have had a hose slip or move and flip a smaller container over. I know clips would help, but one of my hoses is a large diameter one that fits right in the end of my carboy so no clip is available. Also, when I started doing this was in the middle of the brew day with no time to run to the LHBS for a clip. Besides, I've never understood this whole "it's a waste of StarSan" thing. In 2 1/2 gallons that's what? About a half ounce. I'd rather waste a half ounce of Star san than tick off the better half, ruin a bunch of stuff or--heaven forbid--ruin an entire batch of beer. I'll pour an entire jug of straight Star San down the drain before I do any of those things--my LHBS carries the stuff so it's not like I have to order it from some distant land and wait six months to get more.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
Besides, I've never understood this whole "it's a waste of StarSan" thing. In 2 1/2 gallons that's what? About a half ounce. I'd rather waste a half ounce of Star san than tick off the better half, ruin a bunch of stuff or--heaven forbid--ruin an entire batch of beer.
Well, I would rather waste it than those other two things as well, but I guess I don't live in a world where those other two things are a possible consequence of saving and re-using starsan.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
BrewKid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This thread brings up an interesting question I have about blow off tubes. When I was fermenting my RIS it required a blow off tube and ended up just attaching a 1/2" tube onto the top of my air lock. Fit perfectly actually. But I certainly wouldn't want to do that again. Does anyone know the correct diameter of tubing needed so that it will fit snug into the top of a carboy?

Primary:

Secondary:

Whiskey Barrel: Russian Imperial Stout

Bottled:Amber Ale, Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout

Drank/Gone: Red Ale

Old 01-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

I use a plastic half gallon vodka jug 1/3 full of water & a splash of starsan. It's enough to keep the water sanitary,so I don't waste to much at all.

Quick Reply