Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too ambitious for a second brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
Ibanous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Too ambitious for a second brew?

So my first brew is still in the fermenter and I’m ready to start a second. My initial idea of doing a stout has ballooned into a monster. Reading about some of the different stout types I’m intrigued by the idea of an oatmeal stout, then I thought hey why not a chocolate oatmeal stout, which then became a chocolate coffee oatmeal stout, finally I saw some people adding lactose like a milk stout to further sweeten and increase the creaminess.

I really like the idea of all these flavors in a sweeter desert beer of sorts. At the same time it feels like I’m throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. I’m a bit concerned about the number of moving parts. I think I have a clear plan on each individual component. I’m just not sure if the finished product will come together as I expect.

So anyone want to chime in and tell me if this is to outrageous, or give any other advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
licenseless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if you are worried but you want a good stout...

my first stout was a stout... but before i even drank i ... i found this recipe

http://morebeer.com/view_product/184...tract_Beer_Kit

its a porter... but its the ****... the best ever

Old 11-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

It's fun to add things and experiment but if you do too much and it doesnt turn out, it will be hard to pin point where it went wrong. You may end up with something that is just muddy in flavor. I'd take it easy.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

If you have a recipe for a chocolate coffee oatmeal milk stout, it won't be much harder than any other recipe. Oatmeal requires a mash (or mash-like) process with some malted barley. This takes longer than a typical steep, but isn't hard.

I made my own chocolate cherry oatmeal stout a while back and it wasn't particularly difficult. It didn't come out as well as I would have liked (especially considering the cost for cherries), but it's not hard to do.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I am afraid that you are already demonstrating some of the early signs of BA...that is Brewing Addiction. I have suffered with it for many years and always have about two or three new brews that I want to try out!!!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
arg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it were me, I'd skip the lactose. Rack the chocolate oatmeal stout, once finished fermenting, onto some coffee grounds for 48 hours, then bottle. Check out the Can You Brew It episode with Spike from Terrapin talking about the Wake and Bake, Imperial Oatmeal Coffee Stout for further ideas and processes.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Cyclometh
Recipes 

Beer brewing:

0. Sanitize.
1. Buy extract or mash grains and sparge.
2. Boil.
3. Add hops (optional)
4. Pitch yeast and allow to ferment.
5. Store and Condition (bottle, keg, whatever)
6. Enjoy.

It really is that simple. All the rest is window dressing; if you hit these points you'll at least get a drinkable brew.

In short, go wild. Worst is you get it wrong.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclometh View Post
Beer brewing:

0. Sanitize.
1. Buy extract or mash grains and sparge.
2. Boil.
3. Add hops (optional)
4. Pitch yeast and allow to ferment.
5. Store and Condition (bottle, keg, whatever)
6. Enjoy.

It really is that simple. All the rest is window dressing; if you hit these points you'll at least get a drinkable brew.

In short, go wild. Worst is you get it wrong.

Don't know if I would call hops optional. They are a main ingredient to balance out the sweetness of the malt. Unless of course your making malto goya or using something else as a bittering agent.

I brewed one beer, then immediately made Graff. Had a beer and a cider right away. Now, I'll do two brews back to back in one brew day. If I wasn't so tired by the end, I'd do a third.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post
It's fun to add things and experiment but if you do too much and it doesnt turn out, it will be hard to pin point where it went wrong. You may end up with something that is just muddy in flavor. I'd take it easy.
Agreed and I'd take it a step further. Beyond trying to pin point what went wrong, I think you should focus on your process. When people start brewing, they're so excited, they want to brew everything (myself included). What ends up happening is you make a broad range of "good" beer.

IMO I think you should focus on one or two beers you really like and make them "great". Make them your "in-house" brews, focus on understanding your equipment, how the ingredients affect your beer, good fermentation practices and streamlining your brew day. Get these concepts down now while your learning so if an issue arises you'll pay more attention to the recipe and not your process. You can add all the extra goodies like oatmeal and chocolate later.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You probably won't listen to reason (nobody does) but here it is anyway. Learn to make a good basic beer before you try to some Cocoa Fruity Cascadian Belgian Triple Imperial IPA with $80 worth of ingredients.

Quick Reply