Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tons of foam. Normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
TMRBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tons of foam. Normal?

First time here, so I may be asking a lot of questions. I purchased a Brew House beer kit and got started. After about 20 hours in the primary, I had foam that reached the cover and then dripped off the edges of the cover. The container is 46 liters and was about half full of liquid. I do not believe this much foam is common. I'm not particularly concerned, just curious. Should I be concerned? After 48 hours, the foam had already receded to about 3/4 inch. I racked the beer into the carboy today.
I have pics, but the cord to hook up to my computer is at work. i will post pics tomorrow if you want.
Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

its normal

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very common. There are things called blow off tubes for this. I think anoub 25-33% of my brews need a blow off tube.

Also - no matter what you see going on in there - DON'T worry. You will see some god awful stuff at times but it's all normal.

Also - once the BIG fermentation is over it will not go there again.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
Jzak09
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed for the first time last night... Obamas Nut Brown.... After about three hours the krausen can't get out fast enough, AWESOME! thank goodness I remembered to buy that blowoff tube!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
TMRBeer
Recipes 

Thanks guys! Since I live in an apartment and don't have a basement or garage to do this in, I think I will get a blowoff tube for next time. It might keep my spare bedroom cleaner.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
BEER_4_BREAKFAST
Recipes 

I was gonna start a thread asking about this same issue.

I brewed up a Wheat Hef (will add Rasberry when I bottle so its like McMenamins Ruby... my wifes fav beer) this weekend and on Tuesday morning the krauzen was coming thru the top of my airlock and made a nice mess. I was a little worried, but found some old posts on here and set up a blow off tube and everything seems OK now. Once the Krauzen settles I plan on removing the blow off and putting my airlock back on. Is that OK to do? Any clue why the krauzen on this brew went so crazy, and it didnt on my first 2 batches?

My krauzen looks similiar to the pic in this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/krau...-normal-84826/

Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER_4_BREAKFAST View Post
...Once the Krauzen settles I plan on removing the blow off and putting my airlock back on. Is that OK to do? Any clue why the krauzen on this brew went so crazy, and it didnt on my first 2 batches?

My krauzen looks similiar to the pic in this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/krau...-normal-84826/
You will be fine to put an airlock back on if you want to. Ensure it has been cleaned and sanitized.

Hard to say exactly why the krauzen went nuts this time. Could have been the fermentation temperature, type of yeast used and pitching size, style of beer... I've had batches, under similar conditions, generate a ton of krauzen and others that only produce a small amount. Its been mentioned on here before, but when dealing with living organisms (yeast) sometimes you just can't predict how they are going to react.

Quick Reply