Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tips for transferring from pot to carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #21
crazyseany
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What's the best way to leave the crud in the boil kettle if you put a valve in it? I'm thinking about putting one in my 8 gallon pot for now till I get my 2 sanke legs cut...what do you use to leave the break and hop materials behind?

I want to start washing my yeast but don't want 4 inches of traub...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 AM   #22
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I use a hop spider for my hops, which helps to cut way down on trub. I also use a plate chiller (recirculating first, then right through to fermenter), but don't get a ton of material left in the kettle. I also have/use a Blichmann 10 gallon kettle, where the dip tube leaves a bit behind.

You could make the $10 strainer ball (from a stainless tea ball) like is posted on the boards (is pretty recent). That should help you to leave a good amount behind.

To clean my SS kettle, I use PBW and BKF to clean it. Does an excellent job of cleaning it out that way.

If you harvest the yeast, you can separate the trub from the yeast pretty easily. Just might take another transfer, or two, to get to mostly yeast in the jars. I did harvest yeast a while back, but since I'm working again, I can afford to use fresh yeast.

I wouldn't worry about hot/cold break material if it was me. I almost never see any trace of that left in the fermenter in my batches (and not much is left in the kettle). I would just find a way to keep the hop matter out of the fermenter for batches you plan to harvest the yeast from. Although since I use the spider, I'm keeping a large percentage of the hop matter out of the fermenter in my batches.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply