The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tips for transferring from pot to carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
dukesbb37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
Drill a hole in your pot and put a weldless valve in your pot. Does not cost a lot and it will work.
What if i just got a regular valve from home depot and smeared some JB weld over the threads...

I figure if JB weld can hold up to car engine heat it can handle boiling wort right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #12
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesbb37 View Post
What if i just got a regular valve from home depot and smeared some JB weld over the threads...

I figure if JB weld can hold up to car engine heat it can handle boiling wort right?
Well there's debate about the food safe aspect of JB weld. The weldless bulkheads work very well and use high temperature O-rings to seal. If you don't have a step bit to drill the hole you can get fairly inexpensive ones on Amazon or eBay. Most weldless bulkheads use a 7/8" hole. You can use them on aluminum or SS kettles.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #13
dukesbb37
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah ive been reading the debate... it looks like it really might be fine... theres tons of people that have used JB weld in their brewing applications without ill effect. However, i think many more people have decided the 20 bucks you save isn't worth it haha.

Anyone ever try a soldering iron?

Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
Well there's debate about the food safe aspect of JB weld. The weldless bulkheads work very well and use high temperature O-rings to seal. If you don't have a step bit to drill the hole you can get fairly inexpensive ones on Amazon or eBay. Most weldless bulkheads use a 7/8" hole. You can use them on aluminum or SS kettles.
Can you get weldless bulkheads from hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes? I'd like to do this to all of my kettles...

Old 12-26-2011, 03:04 AM   #15
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not that I can find. If you find a part number, let me know.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #16
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 984 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

I've seen DIY bulkheads for plastic cooler mash tuns on this website that used parts bought from Lowes, but I don't think it would work on a metal pot..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

Sorry... It was Home Depot not Lowes..

Old 12-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #17
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I put a weldless bulkhead with ball valve on my aluminum pot, drilled with a cheap spade bit. One Of the best investments I've made, it works great. I have a small length of tubing on it with a pin hole that aerates as it transfers. Beautifully simple and effective.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesbb37 View Post

I wouldn't do it. For one thing, do you KNOW if JB weld is food safe at boiling temperatures (the metal will be much hotter on the outside of the kettle)?? Plus, with a threaded fitting, you can take it apart to clean/replace easily. With the JB, it's probably not going to come apart too easily.

I've used brass, one piece, valves before since they were cheaper. But I've since moved to all stainless steel 3-piece valves. You can get those for about $20 each (or less if you hunt around a bit, or wait for specials). Depending on what you're going to put on the inside of the kettle, you could just go with a NPT nipple and lock nut to secure it (plus a couple of silicone washers/o-rings). Put some teflon tape on the threads and you should be leak-free.

Depending on where you go to purchase the hardware, you could get a valve installed for under $30 (all the hardware, plus shipping). That's with just the ball valve, nipple, lock nut, and o-rings and such. If you want to have something else inside the kettle, connected to the ball valve, then that will be extra. I used the above mentioned configuration in my two aluminum kettles with solid results.

Personally, I'd use a hole cutter made to go through metal. A hole saw is rather cheap in the 7/8" size you'll need. Or you could get a step bit that has that size in it's range (usually a bit more expensive though).

I seriously doubt you'll find any/many that used something like JB weld to hold the valve in place.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Balto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfriesen View Post
Not that I can find. If you find a part number, let me know.
Is this what your looking for?
KETTLEVALVE (Patent Pending) KETTLEVALVE (Patent Pending) @ Williams Brewing

WELDLESS POT & COOLER FITTINGS

Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #20
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I would go with this setup...

Keg weldless bulkhead kit
Go with the 3 piece stainless ball valve, you won't regret it. $33.99 It's all you'll need to install the ball valve in any pot (depending on the wall thickness, you might need to use a longer NPT nipple, contact them if so) and make it a kettle. With the bulkhead inside, you can attach other items to the setup, such as a dip tube, mesh screen, or whatever else you want.

You could go a bit cheaper with this one, for $28.99.. I wouldn't cheap-out on this part though. Consider it a one time purchase, for the life of the kettle. That is, IF you go stainless. I didn't on my initial kettles, and then replaced the brass one on one of them with a 3 piece stainless valve. So I ended up spending more in the long run, by going cheaper in the short run.

IMO, you can't go wrong with the 3 piece stainless valve. Plus, I have yet to hear of anyone regretting getting that valve at any point. At the most, you hear about people wishing they had done it sooner, or not gone with a one piece valve first, before changing over to the 3 piece.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply