Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tips for transferring from pot to carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
dukesbb37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Tips for transferring from pot to carboy

Hey guys, ive given up on the bucket and dumping straight from the pot to the carboys... For my first try i attempted to siphon it all and my racking cane kept getting clogged with crap. Even with the black tip thingy

Next i tried pouring it in my funnel... but i do full boils and 5 gallons of wort was too hard to pour with one hand (i had to hold the funnel with the other)

Anyone have a technique for either 1)siphoning without clogging. or 2) something to hold the funnel still ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

You can put cheese cloth on the end of your autosiphon and/or whirlpool then siphon. Search for the technique and it work well.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
downtown3641
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 42 Posts

Whirlpool. Basically, just stir the heck out of the wort in a circular motion until the hop and break material settles into the center of the pot. You'll be able to siphon around the outside.

Kegged: Dusseldorf Altbier, Mild
Up next: Belgian Wheat/Rye, Kolsch

Brak23 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Gunrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drill a hole in your pot and put a weldless valve in your pot. Does not cost a lot and it will work.

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
drill a hole in your pot and put a weldless valve in your pot. Does not cost a lot and it will work.
+1

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Throw a grainbag in if you're doing 5 gallon batches. Easiest, cheapest way I've found so far.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
Cimerian
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown3641 View Post
Whirlpool. Basically, just stir the heck out of the wort in a circular motion until the hop and break material settles into the center of the pot. You'll be able to siphon around the outside.
This is exactly what I do. I rarely ever have a problem with a clog. Just stir in one direction and get the wort moving really good then cover it for 30 min. All that crap just settles into the center.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
frankstoneline
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Install a valve, use a hop sock and whirlpool, this will help dramatically. I try not to remember my days of siphon use sans hop socks.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 852 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesbb37 View Post
Hey guys, ive given up on the bucket and dumping straight from the pot to the carboys... For my first try i attempted to siphon it all and my racking cane kept getting clogged with crap. Even with the black tip thingy

Next i tried pouring it in my funnel... but i do full boils and 5 gallons of wort was too hard to pour with one hand (i had to hold the funnel with the other)

Anyone have a technique for either 1)siphoning without clogging. or 2) something to hold the funnel still ?
Why have you given up on the bucket? Many of us use the buckets and make very good beer and we find it easier to pour the wort in, easy to collect a hydrometer sample, and easy to clean. Buckets come with nice carrying handles and don't require emergency surgery if we happen to drop one or pout wort in that isn't cool.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Add a ball valve and make it a kettle. It makes brew-day so much easier (at least for me it has). Use quick-connects/disconnects on the ends of the valves, and what they lead to and it's even easier. I have those on all my brewing hardware from the keggle mash tun to the March pump, plate chiller and even HLT. I also have ball valves in the mash tuns I made from coolers (one is being used by my brew-buddy, looking to sell the larger one).

BTW, having a ball valve installed for the brew kettle (or boil kettle) also opens up using either a CFC or plate chiller to cool the wort. Not something you can do with a siphon.

BTW, RM-MN, I also gave up on buckets, and carboys, for my beers some time ago. I've migrated to sanke kegs. IMO, so far better than either glass or plastic fermenters that it's not even funny. Plus, the two built-in handles makes it very easy to carry/move them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply