Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tips on doing split boil extract batches?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
viking999
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Tips on doing split boil extract batches?

I have conceded that in my situation (electric stove, gas burners forbidden), I'm not going to be able to do a legitimate full boil for a 5 gallon batch. Heat sticks would be an option, but the frequency of BOLD RED TEXT in the instructions makes me a wee bit nervous.

I may do some smaller batches, but I'd also like to try splitting the recipe into two kettles on two separate burners, and then combine them after the boil. My understanding is that this would be about the same as a full boil in one kettle, except for the extra step of combining the wort. Is that right? Most people on here seem to think hot side aeration won't be a problem, so I'm not worried about that when combining the batches. Are there any other dangers in boiling this way?

If I'm using a counterflow chiller (I haven't used one before, but I intend to for this boil method), do I need to combine the wort into one pot and then chill all at once, or can I chill the one kettle's wort, put it into the fermenter, and then chill the other kettle's wort on top of it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

Splitting a 5 gallon boil into two 2.5 boils is an easy way for someone in your situation to get the same benefits of a full boil without the additional equipment. You have the process right. The only real additional danger is that you have to watch for two boilovers instead of one. Not a big deal.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use your CFC to chill the contents of one pot and then the other. You might want to cover the second pot with sanitized tinfoil, especially if your CFC takes a while. If it's relatively quick (~15 minutes) it's not really a concern.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

although, two pots with 2.5gallons each can be cooled in a water bath very easily and quickly. possibly better to go that route than working with a CFC.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
viking999
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
although, two pots with 2.5gallons each can be cooled in a water bath very easily and quickly. possibly better to go that route than working with a CFC.
Unfortunately, my sink can only fit one pot, and my tub is too big even if I put both in there. The tub would end up with too high a water to ice ratio unless I used an obscene amount of ice (like 8+ bags).

Quick Reply