Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tips for 1st all grain batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
kh54s10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Use a calculator to determine your temperatures and volumes of both the mash and sparge.

You might want to list the steps as a check off list so that you can keep track of what has been done and what comes up next.

Pre-heat your mash tun. I saw it suggested to use boiling water. If you are using a plastic cooler tun do not go that hot, it might warp the plastic.

It is really pretty easy. It takes longer than extract and there is a bit more to pay attention to but, IMO, is more interesting that using extracts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 799

I'm ready to pull the trigger on all grain. Looking for recommendations for a pretty bullet proof recipe to try first. Probably something on the APA IPA side of things --- and recommendatyIons

Untapped

Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #23
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimmerman88
I'm ready to pull the trigger on all grain. Looking for recommendations for a pretty bullet proof recipe to try first. Probably something on the APA IPA side of things --- and recommendatyIons
Visit the recipe wiki and peruse the pale ales, plenty of proven, simple recipes to choose from

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
pgrebus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanwallner View Post
You need to get the grain bed up to 170 to complete mash out. SW
Depends on if he's sparging or mashing out, though.

If you're mashing out (adding all water to the tun before draining), then you need to bring the temp of the mash up to 170.

If you're sparging (most likely), then you've drained the wort, and are rinsing the grains, and only need to worry about rinsing with water 170-180ish.

Pete

Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #25
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1107 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by atimmerman88 View Post
Just made Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale found here and it is amazing.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Well, all these tips were very helpful. I ended up getting 77% efficiency with my homemade manifold and cooler! One difficulty I had was telling when the wort cleared while I was vorlaufing. I understand that its still going to be hazy but it shouldn't be cloudy... Wasn't exactly sure what it was supposed to look like. I pretty much recirculated 3 pitchers just to be sure. When I finally drained it off I was still getting some chunks but not as much as the beginning. Is this normal?

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBrew
Well, all these tips were very helpful. I ended up getting 77% efficiency with my homemade manifold and cooler! One difficulty I had was telling when the wort cleared while I was vorlaufing. I understand that its still going to be hazy but it shouldn't be cloudy... Wasn't exactly sure what it was supposed to look like. I pretty much recirculated 3 pitchers just to be sure. When I finally drained it off I was still getting some chunks but not as much as the beginning. Is this normal?
The purpose of vorleuf is to set the grain bed and produce clear running. You may have needed more than three pitchers to achieve this. Also this should be done both when you initially mash out as well as again when you sparge. If you are using clear tubing out of the tun then you can see the runnings

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #28
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 400

I'd highly recommend purchasing brewing software like Beersmith. Once you set up your equipment profile correctly, it will very accurately calculate the volumes of water needed. It has a lot of other great features. A good thermometer is definitely needed. For your first All-Grain, I would recommend an Amber. They're delicious, a good fall beer, and will help cover up a lot of potential flaws. Also, enjoy the process. I would not agonize over missing your temperatures by 1 - 2 degrees.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #29
atimmerman88
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew

Just made Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale found here and it is amazing.
I looked but didnt have any luck finding the recipe ?? Help?

Untapped

Old 08-15-2012, 12:34 AM   #30
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 67

There are a lot of great tips on here, but one thing to remember is HAVE FUN! I remember my first AG batch and I was really nervous. The beer came out fine and I even screwed up a few things. Just go into it knowing that things are going to go wrong, but in the end it will be ok

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Quick Reply