Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tip for new bewers with pets.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Paps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Default Tip for new bewers with pets.

I'm sure this has been stated here before but i wanted to post a reminder for newcombers. Do NOT feed your pets hops. They WILL KILL your pet.
===============================================

Poisonous and / or
Dangerous Foods for Dogs
When in Doubt - Leave it Out

(Alphabetical Order)

HOPS

If any of you are home brewers, you'll know that hops is a plant used in the making of beer.

What you may not be aware of, though, is how toxic hops can be for dogs. Ingestion is extremely serious and the consequences can be fatal.
Hops toxicity can occur both before, and after the hops has been used in brewing. Dogs particularly like hops soaked in sweet wort.

Greyhounds appear to be particularly sensitive to hops poisoning, but ALL dogs should be kept away from hops at ALL times.

IMPORTANT: Rush your pooch to the vet to induce vomiting and provide after care monitoring. You may find that your vet is unfamiliar with hop toxicity. If necessary, contact an Animal Poison Control Center while at your vet, so they can offer professional advice to your vet.
Time is of the essence!
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS

Ingestion of hops causes malignant hyperthermia in dogs. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood increase at a dramatic rate, and your dog will run an uncontrollable fever

The symptoms of dog poisoning you will likely observe, will be heavy panting and rapid heartbeat (up to 200 beats per minute). Temperatures may rise as quickly as 2 degrees Fahrenheit every five minutes! In some case studies, the dogs' temperatures have reached 108 degrees, at which point death has occurred.

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Even small amounts of hops can trigger a reaction. Greyhounds and Labradors appear to be more susceptible to hop toxicity.

Pellet hop ingestion may possibly be slightly less harmful than whole or plug hop ingestion, but all forms can be fatal.

WHY ARE HOPS PLANTS POISONOUS FOODS FOR DOGS?

Hops plants are extremely dangerous foods for dogs as poisoning occurs leading to malignant hyperthermia. Temperatures rise uncontrollably, and at alarming rates. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood also increase at a dramatic rate.

================================================
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/dangerous-foods-for-dogs.html
(list of other dangerous foods to keep away from your pets)

Go right ahead and feed your pet leftover barley (i mix em with flour/peanut butter and make dog cookies) but NEVER let your pet eat your hops.
-----
Paps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've seen and read about this in several places. Good to know.
However, one of my dogs loves beer. I have known a few other dogs that also like beer and neither they nor my dog have ever had any adverse effects from it.
Note: my dog won't get drunk (won't let him) but he loves the taste and aroma.
This all leads me to believe that it may not be harmful to them once in the finished beer, but I am curious to read more about it.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Old 06-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
neo71665
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I had a rott that would drink all the beer he could get, died at 14 years old.

Got a horse now that's the same way. He has learned to pick a bottle up, shotgun it, and set it back almost directly back where it was when he thinks you ain't looking. Really gotta watch where you sit your bottle if you plan on finishing it.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #4
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From what I have seen it is raw hops, once boiled it isn't as much of an issue. And with raw hops, not all dogs have issues, but if they do, unless caught and treated almost immediately there isn't much that can be done. Worth being extra careful

Old 06-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
IPA-Hole
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo71665 View Post
I had a rott that would drink all the beer he could get, died at 14 years old.
My rotties love beer too! My first rott lived 14 years and was the best dog I ever had.....sure miss 'em.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Paps
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Boiled hops will kill your pet too.
The idea is to not let your dog eat your hops
either before or after you make beer with them.
Feeding your dog beer for some reason does not have the same effect.
Although too much beer can surely be harmfull to your dog(or you).
Stay safe and keep your hops out of reach of your dogs.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
unkyjack
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I lost my dog to cancer last November and I'm still having a hard time getting over it. She was my constant companion and I miss her every day. So, I can imagine how it would feel to have a dog die from hop poisoning.

Interestingly enough, the owners of a LHBS have two or three Golden Retrievers that they bring to the shop every day. The dogs have the run of the store. It doesn't seem they're kept away from the area where hops are stored and packaged. These people have written a couple of homebrew books, so it's strange that they might not be aware of the poisoning risk hops present to their dogs.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Neoprene
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hi,
While I think its very important to be cautious and informed, the actual incidence of hop toxicosis is very rare (thankfully). I've been a veterinarian for 14 years, with the majority of the last 10 spent in emergency practice, and have yet to come across a suspected case. (This has been in the UK though, and I believe home brewing is more popular in the US).
Not saying there isn't a risk, and definitely keeping all forms of hops away from your dogs is an excellent idea, just wanted to chime in with my experiences as I didn't want folk to be worrying too much!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoprene View Post
Hi,
While I think its very important to be cautious and informed, the actual incidence of hop toxicosis is very rare (thankfully). I've been a veterinarian for 14 years, with the majority of the last 10 spent in emergency practice, and have yet to come across a suspected case. (This has been in the UK though, and I believe home brewing is more popular in the US).
Not saying there isn't a risk, and definitely keeping all forms of hops away from your dogs is an excellent idea, just wanted to chime in with my experiences as I didn't want folk to be worrying too much!
I'd rather err on the side of caution and just keep my dogs away from my hops while I'm brewing...

Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Neoprene
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I'd rather err on the side of caution and just keep my dogs away from my hops while I'm brewing...
Absolutely, and also take care when composting etc after brewing.
The risk is very small though, but there is not a great deal of info in current veterinary literature, so I think a healthy dose of caution is sensible.

Ps mmj are awesome

Quick Reply