Originally Posted by MWM777
I am using city-supplied water, yes. There is a small chlorine taste to our tap water. Perhaps that's what's coming through? Can this be remedied in future brews? Or should I just buy filtered water (or a filter)!?
I know the beer is young, but I kept reading hefeweizens are best drank when they're young. Perhaps more time is needed to work the off flavors out with conditioning.
If theres enough Chlorine in the water that you can smell it than yes, thats likely the problem. To double check this you can go to your Cities water department website and they usually have water surveys and reports atleast once a year that list how many ppm of various minerals and chemicals that they add in your water.
In the future buy some Campden tablets. Crush Half a tablet for 10 gallons of water. I usually let it sit for 5-10 minutes and stir it in but the water is ready pretty much immediately. Their super cheap, i think i can get a bag of 50 tablets to last me forever for like $4 or something stupid, their also great to have around for killing yeast in freshly pressed fruit juice for ciders, or if you are pressing your own grapes for wine you can add I think 1 tablet per gallon to kill off wild yeast and bacteria and wait 24-48 hours then pitch your own yeast.
Overdoing it cant really hurt as long as you dont go crazy and throw 3 tablets in or something.
Another solution if its Chlorine and not chloramine is to just leave your water out overnight, 12-24 hours will cause the chlorine to evaporate out of the water....figure out how much water you'll need and get it all in a bucket or your pot or something with the lid off.
Hefe's are best young, right as soon as their carb'd...it may fade a bit with time but now that you know its there you'll always taste it regardless of if it is or not