Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Time really DOES heal all brew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Time really DOES heal all brew!

Most of you already have a story similar to this, but I thought I would share mine. I brewed a batch of Spiced Hard Cider back in February. I miscalculated the amount of spices and the time in secondary with spices to achieve the flavor I was looking for. What I ended up with was WAY too spicy. I could not taste the cider at all. The cinnamon and clove flavors completely dominated and made the cider nearly undrinkable. It really was pretty gross.

I hid this cider in the back corner of my closet because I am very reluctant to dump any brew, no matter how bad it may seem at first. I pulled out a few bottles of this and put them in the fridge last week. Earlier this evening, I decided to drink one with my dinner to see how they had changed with time. To my surprise, the cider was borderline amazing! The spice flavor had faded significantly. It is now at a level close to what I had originally imagined. Additionally, there had previously been a slightly funky yeast character that did not blend well or lead to a "clean tasting" cider. This flavor is completely gone, and the brew has matured to almost exactly what I envisioned in the first place.

I think I may even enter it in an upcoming homebrew competition. I can't believe how much better it is now. It tastes like a completely different recipe.

Just thought I would share.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I think I might have read a thing or three about this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

el_horno Likes This 
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I know what you mean, Revvy. I have heard it preached here (and on other forums too!) a thousand times. Even though you may know in the back of your mind that it is good advice and the posters know this from experience, I can now add my voice to the chorus of those people who KNOW it is true from experience. I guess I am like many people in this way. Even though I have heard the benefits of aging over and over, I underestimated the real benefit until I experienced it first-hand.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 09-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Enjoy it before it becomes vinegar!

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
Enjoy it before it becomes vinegar!
??? I think it should be obvious by the fact that this was made back in FEBRUARY, that if it were going to turn to vinegar, it would have by now.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Almost the same story for me and my Bopils...4 months later, the cinnimon had mellowed and it was fantstic!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 121

If it was made right the first time, the aging process would have been taken out of the equation. Let me get this straight. If a brew is supposed to be ready to drink, in say 1 month, but at 1 month it tastes bad, due to mistakes in the process. Then, it's put away to age for a few more months and by luck it turns out. Aging cures poorly made brew? No. It's still a badly made brew, needing unnecessary aging to straighten out the poor process used. The failure is in the process, and if corrected, will eliminate the unnecessary aging. Or, there needs to be a realization, that certain brews do need to be aged out. Then, the aging thing won't become a glorious epiphany, linked to bad brew. Or, to a brew that naturally needs aging. The problem with the aging out philosophy, is that it can lead people to believe that it can correct a poorly made brew. The brewer may not know that the basic process being used may not be correct. Because they were told RDWHAHB, age it out, it will be OK. Then, instead of correcting the basic problem with the brewing process, the brew is continued to be made using the same poor processes. One day, the luck will run out. The only thing that corrects a poorly made brew is fixing the process that creates it. Then the unnecessary aging part, along with hoping it's going to turn out, goes away. Then, one can RDWHAHB.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I think it's generally believed by homebrewers that time cures all ills. It doesn't. There are some flaws that diminish and/or apparently disappear with time. There are also many flaws that are either i) not improved with time or ii) made worse with time. Wouldn't it be loooooovely were it not so? It's so.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1955 Times on 1414 Posts
Likes Given: 1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
If it was made right the first time, the aging process would have been taken out of the equation. Let me get this straight. If a brew is supposed to be ready to drink, in say 1 month, but at 1 month it tastes bad, due to mistakes in the process. Then, it's put away to age for a few more months and by luck it turns out. Aging cures poorly made brew? No. It's still a badly made brew, needing unnecessary aging to straighten out the poor process used. The failure is in the process, and if corrected, will eliminate the unnecessary aging. Or, there needs to be a realization, that certain brews do need to be aged out. Then, the aging thing won't become a glorious epiphany, linked to bad brew. Or, to a brew that naturally needs aging. The problem with the aging out philosophy, is that it can lead people to believe that it can correct a poorly made brew. The brewer may not know that the basic process being used may not be correct. Because they were told RDWHAHB, age it out, it will be OK. Then, instead of correcting the basic problem with the brewing process, the brew is continued to be made using the same poor processes. One day, the luck will run out. The only thing that corrects a poorly made brew is fixing the process that creates it. Then the unnecessary aging part, along with hoping it's going to turn out, goes away. Then, one can RDWHAHB.
So what you are saying is that his beer wasn't really better tasting after all of that aging?

Or are you suggesting that people be infallible in the first place?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgarlic View Post
I think it's generally believed by homebrewers that time cures all ills. It doesn't. There are some flaws that diminish and/or apparently disappear with time. There are also many flaws that are either i) not improved with time or ii) made worse with time. Wouldn't it be loooooovely were it not so? It's so.
100% agreed. Time doesn't heal ALL things. I've made some wonderful batches and some not so good batches. The not so good batches tasted well.... not so good at 3,6, & 9 months, and to infinity and beyond.

If you are waiting something to mellow then time is your biggest friend. If you having something weird going on them time usually magnifies those flaws in my opinion.

Quick Reply